Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion
Current updates regarding coronavirus (Covid-19) and the precautions AAT are taking will be continually updated on the below page.

Please check this link for the latest updates:
We hope you are all safe and well and if you need us we will be here. 💚

Advice please regarding what we can do re: LTD companies

Sarah-LouSarah-Lou Well-KnownRegistered Posts: 141
Good morning everyone!

I have a client whom I do book keeping and end of year accounts/submission for her. This is her personal accounts, she did have a business which was ltd and was dissolved during the last tax year.

Her previous accounts (who she was incredibly unhappy with hence changing to me) had supposedly dealt with her ltd company and told her she did not need to put in a tax return as the company had dissolved. She has now received a fine of £400 from HMRC and this will incur £100 a month until sorted.

She has asked me if I can deal with it which I have no problem doing (although would obviously need advice and I can get this from an accountant friend) but would I be able to submit to HMRC or can AAT members not do this? I can't remember exactly regarding a LTD company that a Chartered Accountant needs to do.

Thank you



  • deanshepherddeanshepherd Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 1,809
    If the company has been dissolved then who are you acting for?

    No need to do any accounts, just inform HMRC of the date of dissolution.
  • Sarah-LouSarah-Lou Well-Known Registered Posts: 141
    Client has rental properties so is still submitting a personal tax return with this income on it.

    Hmm not sure what the fine is about, she is going to forward me to the letter to look at and then I will phone HMRC. Company was dissolved ages ago but HMRC seem to need something.
  • bumblebeebumblebee Well-Known Registered Posts: 135
    HMRC should have been informed about the situation in my opinion.
  • MonsoonMonsoon Font Of All Knowledge FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,071
    £400 then £100 per month sounds like a PAYE penalty.

    Write to HMRC and say the company was dissolved, so there is no-one to pay the penalty. Should make it go away.
  • MoneySavingBankMoneySavingBank Well-Known Registered Posts: 143
    If the company is not trading. there is no money to pay

    Hi Sarah-Lou,

    I had a similar situation then I wrote a letter to HMRC and after reviewing it i was fine. I didnt pay any penalty.

    If the company is not trading. there is no money. So how you gonna pay?

    I think the best thing is you draft the letter and let the X director sign and send it.


Sign In or Register to comment.