Empty rental property

Options
PGM
PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
I've been asked a question;

About a rental property thats now been empty almost a year, being slowly (due to cost and owners taking their time doing it themself) repaired after previous tennants took their toll.

It will therefore show a big loss for the year with mortgage interest and materials costs.

Is all this cost eligible or is there any rules that could stop that?

thanks.

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    All allowable but...! Just because the client doesn't have it rented that is up to them. You could say that they were still renovating, or just lazy about getting a tenant in. The only alarm bells it could ring with HMRC are that the client has been renting for cash and not declaring. Just a note to remember regarding repairs, they are allowable, but capital expenses should be capitalised! Hope that helps.

(I love this type of accounting!)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    T.C. wrote: »
    All allowable but...! Just because the client doesn't have it rented that is up to them. You could say that they were still renovating, or just lazy about getting a tenant in. The only alarm bells it could ring with HMRC are that the client has been renting for cash and not declaring. Just a note to remember regarding repairs, they are allowable, but capital expenses should be capitalised! Hope that helps.

(I love this type of accounting!)

Thankyou.

I thought that was probably the case. Good point about the alarm bells though!

I had wondered if there was any rules such as with holiday rentals.
Privacy Policy