Worth Doing

Options
anniebabe
anniebabe Registered Posts: 595 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi Guys
Can anyone advise?
Just finishing off level 3, I believe that if I carry on to do Level 4 to finish the year you must have work experience - signed off by an employer to be qualified.
I am not currently working - and will not be looking for work anytime soon as I have ended up being a carer for my disabled son. Previously have 16 years in accounts.
Is it worth me carrying on if I do not have anyone to sign off work experience relevant to Level 4?
Many thanks

Comments

• bumblebee
    bumblebee Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi there. In my opinion if you have the ability to carry on then dont give up.You have come this far? and, as you mentioned that you have previous experience in accounts i am sure your ex employer would be able to give you a reference for that, you will need to find that out.
  • anniebabe
    Options
    Thanks for a reply 'Bumblebee' would have to contact them about it, just wasnt sure of the criteria with the references - whether it had to be one from your present employer or not.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I would say, call the AAT, check with them. They are quite flexible in it as far as I know, but giving them a ring might give some clarity.
  • Vince22
    Vince22 Registered Posts: 12 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    You have to have 12 months experience to become a full member (MAAT), but you will still get the qualification NVQ/4 (accounting technician) as soon as you pass the exams.
  • anniebabe
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Vince22 - I didnt realise that was the case.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Work experience will only be accepted during the timespan of your membership with the AAT and can be pro-rata.

Example; I joined the AAT in November 2007, but put in for work experience from long before that date up until about January 2009. The AAT only accepted work experience I had accumulated from November 2007.

Also, because I worked part time, about 25 hours a week, my experience was pro-rata'd at that rate which gave me something like 43 qualifying weeks - I still needed to obtain another 9 weeks to achieve my 52 weeks experience.

Keep going and see if you can get some experience somewhere as has already been mentioned it would be a real shame to give up if you've come this far!

Good luck ;)
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • anniebabe
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Anniem.
Privacy Policy