Registering as a new Agent then Adding Clients

MoneySavingBank
MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi,

I am pretty sure you guys have discussed this several times before. I am sorry if I am being a bit of pain.

I would like to know the followings:

1. How long does it take to register as a new agent?

2. After registering as a new agent. How long does it take to add my clients for online Self-Assesment submissions. Situation- (a) client is alreayd registered for online submission with his/her current accountants. (b) Never registered before for online submissions.

I am looking forward to your answers.

Kind Regards,

MSB

Comments

• MoneySavingBank
    Any Luck

Waiting with patients for this reply :)

Ta
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    It took me about a month to get my hmrc agent reference and then about 3 weeks for 64-8 from posting to showing on reference. It is quicker online, but still takes about a fortnight for your client to get the pin number which you need. You cannot submit your 64-8 until you have your agent ref or it gets a bit complicated.
  • MoneySavingBank
    Agent Code SA/CT/PAYE Empty for New Agent...

Thanks Jow,

We haven't got an Agent number yet. So, for the first one 64-8 form do we keep empty field "Agent Code SA/CT/PAYE"?

When I post this, will I get my Agent Code in return? or...

Many thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,

MSB
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Agent codes dont come through automatically, you have to write to HMRC to request one, you cannot do it online. I was told not to send the 64-8 until the agent code is through, then when you have the agent number enter it on the 64-8. If you send the 64-8 off without agent code I think you will struggle to access the client online and will have to request an online 64-8 all over again, hence your doing the same thing twice and it takes longer. It took a total of 7 weeks for me to gain my agent ref and register 2 64-8's.
  • MoneySavingBank
    Contact Details

Jow,

Thank you very much for reading and replying my post.

Now, could you please advise me on how to get the Agents Code.

Shell I write them if so please help me with their Address?

or

Shell I call them then please help me with their working numbers?

I really appreciate your help.

I need to get that done before i go holiday. I am going holiday this saturday for a month.

URGENT!

Kind Regards,

MSB
  • MoneySavingBank
    More Info!

Just Posting this thinking there are others like me who love to know this. Please see below:

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dmbmanual/DMBM511910.htm

The Central Agent Authorisation Team (CAAT) at Longbenton handles most paper forms 64-8 (and CWF1s) for self-employed individuals

It also handles changes of agent for individual taxpayers, trusts and partnerships which already have Unique Taxpayer References.

Their address is CAA Team, Longbenton, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE98 1ZZ

They do not handle any other correspondence.

Recording and timescales
    CAAT currently update the SA IT system within 24 hours of receiving the form in CAAT providing there is already an SA record for the customer. CAAT will update all other IT systems within 7 working days.

Any 64-8s received by CAAT indicating a VAT authorisation request are scanned and stored in an electronic folder.
  • bumblebee
    bumblebee Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    How come I never came across this post until now?
    Must be too buzy...
    Thanks MSB
  • MoneySavingBank
    Cheers

I ask a question and then I do my own research. If I get my answers I post it here to share. That's my life :D.

Take care,

MSB
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    MSB how long did it take to get your codes in the end?
  • MoneySavingBank
    Not sure but i think it was about 6w

Hey,

I am not very sure how long it took at the end.

But I was harrasing them over the phone and sent the copy of letters couple of times.

It worked well for me.

If you have sent it already wait for 3 weeks then call them and send a copy of this by post again saying copy but no reply yet. :D Then they might call you to clarify.

I received a call from CAAT and it didnt take more than 6 weeks to get started I believe.

Regards,

MSB
Privacy Policy