Missing Receipts

Haggis
Haggis Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
I have a client who has mislaid some receipts for expenses which are clearly related to his business as they show the suppliers name on his business credit card statement.
I am wondering if anyone else has been in this situation and if so have they included these amounts in the final accounts or not ?

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I am working through some accounts at the moment with just that problem. Basically it is what I would call working form "incomplete records". I have some receipts and all bank statements. I have advised the client that I will work from the bank statements where it is obvious about the expenses, ie certain suppliers, phone bills, insurance etc. In my experience HMRC do not like this sort of thing, but they can't make a client supply information which does not exist. I will just to my best from the records supplied. What excuse does your client have because he will need a reasonable one - my client moved house - not a brilliant excuse, but at least it is real.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Haggis wrote: »
    clearly related to his business as they show the suppliers name on his business credit card statement.

Definitely put them in if they are definitely business, but don't claim back any VAT (if registered).

Make client aware that a picky HMRC inspector could disallow these amounts due to lack of records.
    Tell client to keep receipts in future.
    Put this in writing to client to cover your back.

Job done :)
  • Haggis
    Thank you very much, I will ask my client for my detail on any reasons for these missing receipts, very helpful, thanks
  • Haggis
    Thanks for your reply, good idea to put this in writing, I will do this and make them aware that HMRC could disallow, thanks again.
Privacy Policy