Bit embarassed to be asking this....

confoosed
confoosed Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
I know this is basic accounting but I can't for the life of me remember what to do.

We have a handyman that's done some work for us and has put in an invoice for the work, he isn't VAT registered. He's claimed for his time plus cost of items bought and he's attached the VAT receipts for the items. Can we claim the VAT back on these items when he's obviously not accounted for the VAT on his invoice as he's not registered.

Comments

• JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    No you can't. You could claim if he was an employee of the company, but not as he's self employed.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Agree with Jodie. Your contract is with a non-VAT registered entity, not the VAT-registered shops that he bought materials from. There is no VAT to reclaim, as the VAT was bought by a non-registered person.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It would have been simpler to have bought the materials yourselves and then got a labour-only contractor in to do the work, then the VAT would be reclaimable.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    T.C. wrote: »
    It would have been simpler to have bought the materials yourselves and then got a labour-only contractor in to do the work, then the VAT would be reclaimable.

Definitely. Although the contractor has probably added 10% to the material cost so they won't like it! :D
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Depends on your agreement with the handyman.

If you arranged for him to purchase items on your behalf, out of convenience, then those goods are your purchases and you can reclaim VAT on them.
  • PGM
    Depends on your agreement with the handyman.

If you arranged for him to purchase items on your behalf, out of convenience, then those goods are your purchases and you can reclaim VAT on them.

That does sound like a bit of a grey area, how do you differentiate between the above and items generally bought for a job? Because they would also be bought on your behalf.

This is something that applies to me, as we often have non vatable people working for us and lose the vat on their purchases.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    If they gave you the receipts and didn't include the purchases on there invoice then you could claim the vat back.
  • PGM
    jilt wrote: »
    If they gave you the receipts and didn't include the purchases on there invoice then you could claim the vat back.

Oh right thanks.
Privacy Policy