Options
A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
so who watched it then?

Comments

• zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Me! None of it surprised me in the least!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    the worrying fact none of it surprised them either
  • zara5034
    Options
    I can see where the problem arises from, like they say, with pensions and benefits in kind being far more prevelant today.

A lot of my friends come to me as some sort of Tax oracle (which I am not, lol) and I see the same sort of problems, income from pensions or disability benefits and employment both with the 647L code applied, the trouble is a lot of people don't understand basic taxation, understandably, however I think it should be taught to school leavers as the situation is only going to get worse.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    the problem arises tho from within it seems they were warned years ago that the new system they implemented (like a lot of the systems) wasnt tested correctly and allowed to issue codes before it was checked.

I can remember one client receiving 10 codes in one day no wonder confusions happen!
  • zara5034
    Options
    Yeah that is nuts, and you're right, there is a big internal problem, and what annoys me is that the staff told them about it but they didn't listen, surprise surprise!!!

God I wouldn't want to work for HMRC in a million years, I imagine it's really stressful being on the end of one of those phone lines!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Yeah that is nuts, and you're right, there is a big internal problem, and what annoys me is that the staff told them about it but they didn't listen, surprise surprise!!!

God I wouldn't want to work for HMRC in a million years, I imagine it's really stressful being on the end of one of those phone lines!

lol i loved the shave and shower comment, sometimes i could shower and re-paint the whole house by the time they answer the phones
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    i started to watch it, but it got too late for me, hopefully it will be on again.

the bit i did see just showed utter confusion over coding and the fact the staff had told the managers it would not work
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Was interesting to see that they wrote off the tax payable by some of the people featured on the programme, bet it wouldn't happen to me!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    There are ways they will write off some of the tax due, usually where HMRC were at fault.

There is a whole forum dedicated to heling those affected
    http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=122

I didn't see the programme but the whole thing just shows that HMRC aren't fit for purpose...
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I didn't see the programme but the whole thing just shows that HMRC aren't fit for purpose...

Which I imagine the budget cuts of 15% that are to be made by 2014/15 and which come on top of the severe cuts and huge staff reductions made by the last government will do little to resolve.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/nov/08/businesses-that-dont-like-tax
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    CJC wrote: ยป
    Which I imagine the budget cuts of 15% that are to be made by 2014/15 and which come on top of the severe cuts and huge staff reductions made by the last government will do little to resolve.

I know. Going to make our job a barrel of laughs! :lol:
  • A-Vic
    Options
    I know. Going to make our job a barrel of laughs! :lol:

Although like i said to my boss at least he will be busy trying to put right where they have gone wrong - i know a horrible way of putting it but they are drumming up more business for tax accountants.
  • GILL
    GILL Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    In my experience this is not the only problem they have. Several months ago 3 employees came to me (separatley) as they had received notification that they were changing to really low tax codes.

Why I contacted the tax office because not only were the codes clearly incorrect but I had, luckly, not received notification of the changes a very stressed woman looked into it and admitted that all our employees had been recorded in their new system twice. Once as the correct Ltd company and the second under the 'old' setup before we transferred to a Ltd company! What made it worse was that this was done 8 years ago and 2 of the employees never worked for the 'old' company.
Privacy Policy