Printer

Options
MVT
MVT Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor โญ
Hi everyone,

Quick question, My director has purchased a printer out of petty cash for business use at home. As the printer will remain at his home is there any tax implications i.e. through his P11d, I know it would be difficult to prove that the printer is used for business only.

Many thanks

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I'd leave it purely as business use. Location shouldn't be the deciding factor.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    PGM wrote: ยป
    I'd leave it purely as business use. Location shouldn't be the deciding factor.

same here.... my husband uses the printer we have at home to print his invoices ....that doesnt stop me from printing past papers, however we declare that the printer and all the ink/white papers repairs etc that we have to do to it are business costs .....
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Marga wrote: ยป
    my husband uses the printer we have at home to print his invoices ....that doesnt stop me from printing past papers, however we declare that the printer and all the ink/white papers repairs etc that we have to do to it are business costs .....

Is that avoidance or evasion...!
  • wildgoose1uk
    wildgoose1uk Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Assuming the director has an office at home I don't think there will be a problem. Don't forget if you have a room used soley as an office you can claim for furniture and equipment as well as a proportion of the household bills including mortgage interest.
  • PGM
    Options
    Assuming the director has an office at home I don't think there will be a problem. Don't forget if you have a room used soley as an office you can claim for furniture and equipment as well as a proportion of the household bills including mortgage interest.

There must be a bit of a loop hole here, whats to stop a lot of people doing this?
  • wildgoose1uk
    Options
    I expect a lot of people do do it...... but why a loophole? If you legitimately work at home some of the time and have a room that you use solely as an office then why should the expenditure on that room be any less allowable than your office at work?

You have to furnish, carpet, decorate and provide IT for that room the same as you would an office at work so why treat it differently?
  • PGM
    Options
    I expect a lot of people do do it...... but why a loophole? If you legitimately work at home some of the time and have a room that you use solely as an office then why should the expenditure on that room be any less allowable than your office at work?

You have to furnish, carpet, decorate and provide IT for that room the same as you would an office at work so why treat it differently?

Thats very true, but the rule could be taken advantage of by people that just have a spare room, maybe.

Am I right in thinking you'd have to be self employed to do this?
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Remember CGT though. As far as im aware using a room solely for business would mean capital gains tax would be payable on this portion of the house when sold.

If you say you use a room mostly for business but still use it for something else then you wont have to pay cgt and can still claim a portion of the expense (i think)
  • wildgoose1uk
    Options
    Yes Andrew you are absolutely right and that is just what we are doing.... when I said solely I was thinking mostly...

PGM - Yes, self employed... I guess the same would be true for Ltd company owners who would of course be employees as well as shareholder/owners but have not looked into that yet. I agree it is open to abuse but if the Revenue came to do an inspection and you showed them into a bedroom I think they may suspect something :)

Besides..... are there really any self employed people who do not work at home as well as in the office....and on the train... in the car (conference calls!)?
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    PGM wrote: ยป
    but the rule could be taken advantage of by people that just have a spare room, maybe.

Exactly, as long as the spare room has a computer in it ;)
Privacy Policy