Cis verification online

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Argh.

Never done one before and I've been dropped in it, and it needs doing ASAP.

How do I verify a subbie online? do I need online authorisation for my client to do it?

TIA

Comments

• Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Not really helpful as not done it but did go on a course by Mike Evans (he is cis expert) about it but I can't find my notes, but he does blog for AAT so there might be more info.

Sorry can't help but might be a starter until someone else can point you there
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Thanks.

Looks like I will need to be logged in. Will have to wait then! At least my office is their registered office so as soon as the code arrives I can do it.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Can't you do it by phone, you would get it done now? You can then add them when you get the code because you will already have the verification number
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Thanks BW

I don't have a 64-8 yet so I guess I can't do it on the phone.

Don't you just love being dropped in it at the last minute!?
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I thought only the contractor could verify the subbie!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    If we act for the contractor then we can verify on his behalf, I think.

I've never had much to do with CIS until this landed on my desk. Need to get up to speed I think.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If you need to verify by phone just say that you're employed by them and they usually let you do it. shhh don't tell them that's what I do!!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    If we act for the contractor then we can verify on his behalf, I think.

I've never had much to do with CIS until this landed on my desk. Need to get up to speed I think.

you can :) i mean verify them with a 64-8 in place
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    As an external Accountant, I have always been told you can not verify or register them as a contractor or subcontractor
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If you are registered as an agent for a CIS contractor, then you can verify the subbie online.
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    T.C. wrote: ยป
    If you are registered as an agent for a CIS contractor, then you can verify the subbie online.

Agreed! I verify for all our clients
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Agreed! I verify for all our clients

same as
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Thanks, I'll just have to wait for the authorisation to arrive in the post then.
    Least I can then file the returns online instead of the paper ones.
  • A-Vic
    Options
    One thing that impressed me was i registered a new company for PAYE on-line for the first time last month and within 8 hours it was done and also received accounts office and PAYE codes normally takes weeks so any within the next two weeks will also be done the same way
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Yeah my last PAYE registration came through within a day or two. Makes a pleasant change!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Update:
    The CIS online code came through yesterday.
    Deadline is today.

It doesn't work. The code worked, but the client isn't visible on either my client list on hmrc.gov.uk or gateway.gov.uk. That means that the return won't be filed by the 19th nor will the subbie get verified. :(

To say I'm not impressed is an understatement. Don't suppose anyone can tell me what happens if I send back the paper return with just 30% deducted and no V number - I've no way of verifying the subbie at all.

Bloomin' computer systems!!
  • Bluewednesday
    Options
    You can verify the subbie over the phone and the client will appear on your list tomorrow.

It takes some time after authorisation for them to turn up on the agent listing!

However if you file today, then I suppose you'll just have to go through the appeal process, they are usually fairly generous when it comes to appealing against late penalties and if you are only 1 day late I'm sure you'll be successful.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Thank BW

I can't authorise on the phone as I don't have a 64-8, which is why I was waiting for the online code. The client is out of the country for weeks at a time hence the delays/ problems.

I've just tried again today and lo and behold! There he is on the list in the gateway. I just assumed it was an error - other services seem to appear on my list instantly.

I now need to wait for that to appear on HMRC online, as he's still not showing there...

I will definitely be appealing the penalties!
  • A-Vic
    Options
    Might sound like a daft question but the subbie is registered isnt he? as in has a UTR?
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Yes the subbie is registered.

Anyway..... finally, the client showed up on hmrc.gov.uk online and I got all the returns filed (and the subbie verified). Phew! Took about an hour from allocating him on the gateway to showing on HMRC.

Bloomin' HMRC online!!!

Thanks for all the help folks :)
Privacy Policy