Anyone got an E-book?

Options
2Β»

Comments

• BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Above Post (Blobbyh)- Very Philisophic- and food for thought- made me smile!

I love my books! Can't get enough of them!

Apparently reading on the Kindle and other digital reader thingys, is bad for your brain because of the the words being so clear or something- Basically your brain doesnt have to work as hard to read it, and so it slows it down! :(

I love the satisfaction of buying a new book, from a charity shop or the cheap 'Best Books' in town. I love seeing them all on my beautiful book case!

Non-Digital Books all the way! Don't let paperback/hardback die out!

xxx
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Absolutely. It also encourages our "Want it now" society where everything is easily available at the click of a button without the need for actually visiting a real shop anymore. No wonder so many people are becoming unhealthy with some never needing to leave their houses. Benefits are paid online, food and other stuff is ordered online.

Maybe one day high street shops won't actually sell anything - they'll just be browing stores for the online suppliers with the need for only one or two admin staff. It's all a bit sci-fi. Amazon, Tesco, Apple and a scant few others may one day be the only shops in existence and the entire global economy will be run by just three or four massive organisations. They'll then conspire with each other to manipulate prices and the goods we can continue to buy and those we no longer can. Ever cheaper prices mean eradicating the competition, less competition means eventual higher prices.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    They'll then conspire with each other to manipulate prices and the goods we can continue to buy and those we no longer can. Ever cheaper prices mean eradicating the competition, less competition means eventual higher prices.

Then we'd end up with a communist type situation; lack of competition will lead to a lack of product innovation, why make anything better than a Lada when theres nothing else to buy anyway...
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Nicely put Blobbyh

The one thing i love about currently not studying is i now get to read for pleasure nothing like a good non-fiction crime thriller but i also love going to the local charity shops buying from there, then when ive finished returning them for re-sale (everyone wins) that wont happen with electronic readers i did contemplate getting one but was put off for this very reason.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Can you alter the size of the print on a kindle?

Don't worry found the answer.

@ Tracey, how you getting on with yours? I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my hols.
  • PGM
    Options
    jilt wrote: Β»
    Can you alter the size of the print on a kindle?

Don't worry found the answer.

@ Tracey, how you getting on with yours? I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my hols.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    A-Vic wrote: Β»
    The one thing i love about currently not studying is i now get to read for pleasure nothing like a good non-fiction crime thriller but i also love going to the local charity shops buying from there, then when ive finished returning them for re-sale (everyone wins) that wont happen with electronic readers i did contemplate getting one but was put off for this very reason.

Opps am getting one ignore the above
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    yes you can alter the size of the font which does make it easier. i like the fact that it sits in my handbag so i can read any time, any place, any where.

i have around 100 books on it, amazon does free books and i can download as many as i want. there are authors i have heard of and new authors who have yet to be published in paper books.

i am an avid book reader and am not 100% for e-books, i just like the fact that i dont have to lug around loads of books on holiday. i have had my kindle for about 10 weeks now ( i think) and i have only had to charge it once, and i read every day - maintains the charge excellently

Tracy
  • jilt
    Options
    Thanks Tracy, thats great news about charging the battery.

Being able to change the font size means I don't have to worry about prescription sunglasses on holiday and that I can take whatever books I want to and not worry about the weight. I have a hardback copy of the Cairo Trilogy and it's like a brick! I'm going to order the kindle and then buy the book again kindle style and sell the hardback on Amazon.

I was not really interested in getting one but it was a conversation with my boss about how small some of the text is in some paperbacks are that woke me up to the fact that they would be so so useful for holidays.
  • taskey
    Options
    if you have pdf's or word docs you can also load them onto there too. it is a handy piece of kit and loads of people moan that there is no touchscreen, colour or backlight - to be honest, it is an e reader not an ipad and a lot of people forget that and the fact that it is a fraction of the price of an ipad.

i have only got the wifi one, i did not see any need for 3g as i download the books i want before i go away. it does go on the internet using the wifi (or 3g) and most places in europe have free wifi (mcdonalds, starbucks) so if you need to, go grab a copy and use the wifi. i did not see the point of the extra extravagance of 3g.

tracy
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I got a different branch, but one without wifi and touchscreen. I absolutely love it still.

I do read normal books as well, but I got so many books on my Ebook now that I still got lots to read without any books.

I found scaling the fontsize really helped me in reading, as in the evening with tired eyes, I do like the font to be a bit bigger, although without prescription sunglasses I would be able to fit about one word per page or I still wouldn't be able to read it!

Last summer I went on holiday without prescription sunglasses and well, never again is the right word. I just had to have a baseball cap on all the time or sit down somewhere and see nothing...
  • jilt
    Options
    taskey wrote: Β»
    if you have pdf's or word docs you can also load them onto there too

Thats handy, could put some revision notes on instead of carrying my notebook around with me as well!
    Rinske wrote: Β»
    without prescription sunglasses I would be able to fit about one word per page or I still wouldn't be able to read it!

lol My husband made a comment about me only have 3 words to a page!! I know what you mean about trying to read late at night as well. Hey now that's a thought, if I fall asleep reading a book I lose my page, but it won't happen with a kindle!
  • taskey
    Options
    i got the amazon lighted cover - well worth the money, but i do advise getting a cover of some description as, if you are like me, it is in my handbag at all times, it will pick up scratched etc. the lighted cover takes the power from the kindle so you dont have to keep buying batteries etc.

i would advise looking at all ebook readers and compare them all and see which one suits you best. i would hate for you to buy one and it not serve your needs.
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I have a kindle and after seeing mine so does my nan and sister. My nan loves it as you can enlarge the font and the voice reads aloud to her so at 82 its much easier than a book and has got her back into reading...i listen to my music on mine as well and go on facebook and hotmail :-)
  • jilt
    Options
    Oh yeah definitely want a cover didn't know they did lighted cover but that's a good idea as I hate really bright rooms and will try to position a book under the lamp rather than have the main light on full.

Didn't realise you could listen to music on a kindle, through headphones I presume?
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    taskey wrote: Β»
    ...it is an e reader not an ipad and a lot of people forget that and the fact that it is a fraction of the price of an ipad.

Much as I dislike the principle of the Kindle, I can acknowledge it is a useful, nicely pitched and priced piece of kit for some. Plus it doesn't suffer from the tit factor of the iPad on public transport.

I think getting a jazz mag out on the train and cracking one off would attract less harsh glares than pulling out one of the Apple tablets.
  • taskey
    Options
    lol robert you are so reserved with your views :)
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Didn't realise you could listen to music on a kindle, through headphones I presume?[/QUOTE]

You can listen to it on headphones or it has a built in speaker...
  • mini_schnauzer
    mini_schnauzer Registered Posts: 347 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I haven't got an E Reader but one of those "tit factor" iPads - version 2 no less...
    Can't wait to crack one off on the Virgin train down to London to be with the other Apple jazz mag loving people.

Those that can't afford or have not even tried an Apple product should not comment and shut up. Jealousy is one of the evil sins of the world.

For your information the Kindle is great for reading novels but try reading anything that has tables or graphs included within the text, and it becomes painful... hence the iPad.
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I haven't got an E Reader but one of those "tit factor" iPads - version 2 no less...
    Can't wait to crack one off on the Virgin train down to London to be with the other Apple jazz mag loving people.

Those that can't afford or have not even tried an Apple product should not comment and shut up. Jealousy is one of the evil sins of the world.

For your information the Kindle is great for reading novels but try reading anything that has tables or graphs included within the text, and it becomes painful... hence the iPad.

Here Here!! lol

gotta wait another month for mine as i am still saving, was very restrained and waited for the second version!

Although now they are talking about iPad 3....
  • PGM
    Options
    Although now they are talking about iPad 3....

3?! Feeling like they're bringing out a new one every month.

And Schnauzer try and keep that kind of behaviour in private, using the pad that is...

Truthfully, I think its a nice toy to have, but if I had one I wouldn't use it in public.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options

Eyyyyyyyy!!!!! :D Tit factors unite!
    Admittedly my iPad (1) was a gift but I love it. And, I used it on the train to and in London. Everyone was jealous of my HD Angry Birds on a large screen, o yeah.

I have the kindle app on here as well as iBooks, and i prefer the latter. yes the iPad is expensive but it does all sorts. The kindle has limited functionality and as I understand it the books aren't even cheaper than paperbacks which seems a bit backwards to me!
  • jilt
    Options
    Well my kindle is ordered. It suits me fine, just want to it for reading novels, biographies etc particularly on holiday. It's been dispatched toady so should be here by the end of the week.
Privacy Policy