Unit 10

Becky V
Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hi all i have read some of these threads. I have got my book for unit 10 so would like to start over the christmas hols (what joy) but could do with a few ideas what everyone else based their project on.
I work for an accountant so do lots of clients year end accounts and tax returns.
Year end accounts are done on excel. Any ideas are nuch appreciated! Thanks

Comments

• deborahcarpenter
    deborahcarpenter Registered Posts: 161 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I work for a charity and although we use Sage, all our suppliers are paid by handwritten cheque instead of bacs, so i m doing mine on that.

I too am getting mine done over the holidays, that the plan anyway!!
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Snap! I also work in an accountant's firm and will be spending my Christmas doing my project.

I haven't cleared my idea with Kaplan but one of my managers is keen on me doing a project on how to better request clients' books and records and chase up missing documents.

So the current state of play is that we don't send out a checklist to clients to remind them of what books and records we need, and the person checking in the books and records admits he would like more training with regard to how to identify what books and records are missing. Also there is a breakdown in communication between clerks and managers because neither party knows whose job it is to request the missing books and records, so neither party does!

Hopefully Kaplan let me do this project.

But I don't think this project helps to prevent fraud, and I think that's something the project should do.
  • Becky V
    Hi thanks for reply. I am also with Kaplan. We do have a checklist but still clients forget to put important paperwork in, so maybe a more detailed checklist is needed.

Such a hard thing to choose from. Good luck with your project.
  • reader
    One year later.................how's everybody getting on?

I've been procrastinating and have just about finished by proposal.

And I don't think it's a good idea for me to start writing my 3,000 - 4,000 word project because I haven't submitted by proposal.

BTW, Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Becky V
    reader wrote: ยป
    One year later.................how's everybody getting on?

I've been procrastinating and have just about finished by proposal.

And I don't think it's a good idea for me to start writing my 3,000 - 4,000 word project because I haven't submitted by proposal.

BTW, Happy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well mine has not gone anywhere!!! I am still trying to decide what to base my project on. Have been reading my book but still feel very lost. Think i will need to email my tutor.
    Well done on finishing your proposal.
    Happy new year!
  • reader
    I felt very lost when I was trying to come up with a project theme. I think it is very difficult to identify a project that your work place mentor will agree on and a theme that will also enable you to meet all the performance criteria, especially if you're working in practice.

Because I couldn't come up with my own idea, and because I needed a project mentor, I just ended up asking my manager, and he came up with the idea of improving the acquisition of clients' books and documents.

I don't even know if my project theme will be accepted because I haven't submitted my proposal, so I'm trying to force myself to start DFS and MAC, which isn't really happening.

Let me know what project theme you choose.
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I am trying to do my unit ten at the moment and am using the case study. I know we are not really allowed to discuss content or anything so I won't say anymore lol, but I hate this unit. I've not really decided on the area yet, but have written all of the stuff at the start. I'll probably wait till I've spoken to my tutor on Wednesday before writing on any of the areas, there's so much preparation work to do anyway!
  • Becky V
    reader wrote: ยป
    I felt very lost when I was trying to come up with a project theme. I think it is very difficult to identify a project that your work place mentor will agree on and a theme that will also enable you to meet all the performance criteria, especially if you're working in practice.

Because I couldn't come up with my own idea, and because I needed a project mentor, I just ended up asking my manager, and he came up with the idea of improving the acquisition of clients' books and documents.

I don't even know if my project theme will be accepted because I haven't submitted my proposal, so I'm trying to force myself to start DFS and MAC, which isn't really happening.

Let me know what project theme you choose.

I think i will speak to my employer tomorrow to see if she has an ideas. I am fed up with it before i have started!! I think the holidays dont help just not motivated. I have my dfs exam in 2 weeks and need to do some serious revising!!
  • Becky V
    Hi all just another idea after speaking to my employer. Most of her clients pay by cheque but she has thought about setting up a credit card system that they could pay by.
    Any thoughts please???!!!
  • reader
    I'm with Kaplan distance learning and with Kaplan I had to fill out a 5 page project proposal proforma. Contact your tutor and ask him/her about whether or not they need you to fill out a proposal and what they think of your employer's idea.

Before I started at my firm the clients would generally pay by cheque. Since then they all seem to have moved onto paying by standing orders.

I guess you could call your project:
    "A review of receipts methods at a firm of accountants and recommendations for improvements"

It really important that you look at the performance criteria to see whether or not your chosen project helps you to demonstrate that you can competently achieve those criteria.
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I have completed my project and did it on changing from paying suppliers by cheque to a BACS system. I did this at work anyway so all I wrote was what I had done anyway.

Good Luck
Privacy Policy