Alternative to AAT Payroll

Options
GinnyBee
GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi everyone,

I understand that the AAT Payroll is not going to be offered any longer, I was wondering if anyone knew of any suitable alternatives?

Thank you

Ginny

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hello Ginny

I completed my payroll studies with the IPP, now CIPP. You may like to look at thier website http://www.cipp.org.uk/

There are various levels and routes you can study/follow from the National Payroll Certificate to a Foundation Degree and beyond to a MSc in Business and Payroll Management. Information about the various qualifications can be found here http://www.cipp.org.uk/en/learning-and-development/Payroll-qualifications/foundation-degree-in-payroll-management/index.cfm

If you have any questions please feel free to contact me here or email me directly at joanne_clark1@btinternet.com

Hope this helps.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • payrollpro
    payrollpro Registered Posts: 427 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Ginny is right, the CIPP provides a very impressive collection of qualifications, I should know I am one of the board trustees of CIPP, however, I am not sure I would describe it as an alternative, really.

I would be interested to know what you would be intending to do with your qualification because this will determine what the best course of action is for you.

Remember that the the AAT qualification, which runs now until December 2011 when the final examinations take place, is levels 2 and 3 NVQ whereas the CIPP qualification is non NVQ and above that level.

You may consider contacting the IAB, www.iab.org.uk, because they have a collection of qualifications starting at QCF (the replacement to NVQ) level 1 through to level 3. In addition the IAB and CIPP are working together to create a L4 in the collection which bridges the gap between QCF L3 and the CIPP foundation degree.

It all depends on the level of skill needed for the work you do or are planning to do and my only concern would be the implications of you attempting a qualification which is above the level you need. Apart from anything else, your employer may not be happy to fund a qualification which is more than you require.

Best of luck with your search and let us know what you decide. Any other queries, dont hesitate to post them, it's clear Jo and I are happy to help.

Payrollpro
  • Henry
    Henry Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    GinnyBee wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I understand that the AAT Payroll is not going to be offered any longer, I was wondering if anyone knew of any suitable alternatives?

Thank you

Ginny

Hi GinnyBee,

Perhaps the AAT is stopping the AAT Payroll because it is not so well respected in the payroll world? Most often than not employers will ask for IPPM. It is a very expensive course though which I think is run by Leeds University.

You could however try the Payroll Alliance as well as they are quite respected - annual membership is "steep" though but they have several levels of qualifications that you can opt for. Check them out.
  • GinnyBee
    GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I contacted the AAT and was told you can register for the Payroll Administration qualification until 30 September 2011 but must complete by 31 December 2011. They also memtioned they were considering alternative qualifications for the future.

Henry, I think the AAT payroll qualification is respected in the payroll world as my sister in law got a payroll job based on having the NVQ level 3 and mixed accounts experience (Accounts, payroll, Tax etc).
  • payrollpro
    payrollpro Registered Posts: 427 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hello again,

For IPPM read CIPP and the university course (its actually Derby) is a very senior qualification, both advanced diploma and masters degree, neither of which are really appropriate for accounting technicians.

We have to recognise that CIPP has much more relevance for payroll managers and staff in medium to large employers as it caters for those who deal with lots of benefits in kind, statutory leave and pay etc, very much the higher levels of payroll administration and management whereas those who study at technician level tend not to be dealing with so much of these issues and concentrate on routine up to gross and the income tax, NIC and student loan computations.

The AAT payroll qualification has always been very well repsected and is favoured by finance managers who often do not see CIPP or Payroll Alliance as relevant to their needs. Around 1,000 students a year have gone through the qualification since i have been involved and whilst this seems a lot it does not support the necessary drive for computer based assessments, the capital cost of which is significant, which is why AAT is currently concentrating on its other, more accounting based qualifications at present.

I really don't see the Alliance as a viable alternative as there is no real membership available and in any case it also starts at about L4 so not a lot of help for those at technician level.

I would still look at IAB where you can study levels 1 to 3 and there will soon be a L4 part of the apprenticeship route. From there learners can either stop, because thats what they need, or can go on by transferring to CIPP and continuing through L5 and above. The IAB and CIPP are working together to provide a continuous learning route from L1 through to Masters degree, so your finishing point can be where you want it to be.

What employers ask for will very much depend on their size and who they have had managing payroll in the past. If they know about CIPP, or are using a payroll agency for the recruitment you may find that CIPP is asked for, but Reed, for example have their own study package in payroll which happens to be based on the AAT version anyway so they have no problems with it.

I would say that the AAT is right in confirming that you have to register by September 2011 and complete both levels by December 2011 at the latest but that depends on finding an assessment centre which will run it. With the AAT pulling out for the moment many colleges are withdrawing from teaching it and the availability of training material is getting resticted as well with BPP/Kaplan refusing to produce material for finance act 2010, upon which the 2011 examinations and simulations will be based.

Good luck with it, and any additonal information you need dont hesitate to ask.

Payrollpro
Privacy Policy