PAYE negotiation - any thoughts?

Options
Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I have a client who, due to a very horrible personal situation, didn't register as an employer nor pay any taxes for their one employee. This goes back over 3 tax years.

Now the situation is over with, they want to sort it all out. I've calculated the liabilities but before I approached HMRC with the situation, I wanted to see if anyone has any particular experiences or things that I might not have thought of. Clearly there will be penalties but there are also very extenuating circumstances (which I shan't go into here).

How would you approach HMRC with this one?

Many thanks.

Comments

Guest Registered Posts: 73 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I had something similar a while back and the two main points we did was firstly request for a Revenue Officer to liaise with regarding this and secondly we brought it to their attention rather than it be discovered.
    We were able to mitigate all penalties leaving just interest due and also managed a β€˜time to pay’ arrangement over 3 years (re 6 years paye).
    There was a fair amount of back and forth with HMRC but an Officer to phone and email was in my view the difference between negotiating and computer generated penalties/fines and surcharges. We suffered no P35 penalties which would have been horrific.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Thank you Guest. That's exactly what I was looking for!

We all want to approach the revenue first before any discovery, so that's fine. Your story is encouraging for my client. Fingers crossed!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Just wanted to update this one (found it as I was looking for something else).
    HMRC very reasonable indeed, no penalties or interest charged. Result!
  • Dean
    Dean Registered Posts: 646 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    No interest?! Very well done indeed!!

Regards

Dean
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Thanks!

If they did get interest assessed, they didn't tell me about it, so I'm assuming not. Nice :)
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: Β»
    HMRC very reasonable indeed, no penalties or interest charged. Result!

Wow.. I'm going to get you to deal with my penalty cases in future!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Wow.. I'm going to get you to deal with my penalty cases in future!

:thumbup:
Privacy Policy