Subbie accomodation

Options
JodieR
JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
A client of mine worked for about 5 months at a site 50 miles from his home during 2009/10. He took his caravan to a campsite near the work and only came home at weekends during this time.
Do you think the cost of the campsite will be allowable? I've read BIM37675 and think that this confirms that it will be allowable (as the rest of the year he worked at a variety of different sites all close to home), but would be happy to hear from someone who's encountered this before.

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    This is an awkward one because the cost of getting to the place of work is not an allowable expense. Personally I would write to HMRC to get their view in writing.
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I have a client who takes his caravan all over the country instead of paying hotel charges. Campsite fees are no different to paying a hotel. The expense is wholly business related and therefore allowable.

I also allow the purchase of food which my client cooks in the caravan, once again this is no different to paying for a meal in a pub or hotel bar whilst working away from home.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    If it's a temporary place of work (under 24 months) then business travel to/from is allowable, I believe.

I don't see the problem with claiming campsite fees as Groundy says.
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    While we are on the subject of travel does anyone know if the 24 month rule applies if you travel to various companies however one of the contracts lasts for over 24 months? Does the 24 months only apply if you work continuously at one site for 24 months or does it apply if you work there for over 24 months even if you work at other places during this period?
  • Monsoon
    Options
    While we are on the subject of travel does anyone know if the 24 month rule applies if you travel to various companies however one of the contracts lasts for over 24 months? Does the 24 months only apply if you work continuously at one site for 24 months or does it apply if you work there for over 24 months even if you work at other places during this period?

I don't know, but I'd be interested to know the answer
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I don't know, but I'd be interested to know the answer

So I googled it and found EIM32080

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM32080.htm

There's a lot to read but I think the answer is in there.
Privacy Policy