Personal Tax Exam

Options
Shell B
Shell B Registered Posts: 95 Regular contributor ⭐
Hello

Am due to sit my personal tax exam this week.
I have done the online one which i have passed. Can anyone who has sat the computer based exam tell me if am to expect anything worse that the practise one?

Thanks

Shell

Comments

• SusieQtips
    SusieQtips Registered Posts: 65 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Shell B wrote: »
    Hello

Am due to sit my personal tax exam this week.
    I have done the online one which i have passed. Can anyone who has sat the computer based exam tell me if am to expect anything worse that the practise one?

Thanks

Shell

Good Luck, if it was anything like mine you will need a degree to understand what the question is asking you. Don't want to put you off as your's may be different, but I found the questions very ambiguous and I thought I knew my stuff.
  • Shell B
    Options
    Well i sat my tax exam tonight and OH MY GOD, it was rock solid.
    I revised forever and a day did the practise online one passed and thought i was prepared, nervous but prepared.
    The outcome is i really dont think i have passed, you tend to either get a good or bad feeling when you walk out of an exam even if you dont like to admit it to anyone and tempt fate by telling them. I walked out and i do think i have failed, all that hard work for nothing.

I had loads of true and false questions which was worded in a very twisted way on info which i thougnt i knew quite well, god knows if i got them right.

One thing that is playing on my mind the most and if someone can answer and put me out of my misery i would appreciate it.
    I had a shares question with a rights issue and the question was calculate the fig carried forward and the gain. well first of all when i answered the question with the cost of the rights issue in i did not get a gain i got a loss. So i looked at the questiona and thought well its saying you should have a gain so i took the cost of the rights issue out (even in my mind i thought this was odd) and then i came to a gain at the end. Was i right to change it or not?????

Well anyone who is about to take your tax exam in my opinion it was 100% worse than the practise online one. Really dont want to put a downer on them but i am cheesed off.

Shell B
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    The personal tax exam really is bad - I saw your post a few days ago, but didn't respond because I haven't got anything good to say about it and didn't want to make you feel bad about the exam before you went in.

I am convinced that I have failed and posted quite a few moaning posts on here after doing the exam, it is so hard to work out what half the questions are actually asking. Also, there were hardly any calculation questions and too much multiple choice on an exam which is supposed to test accountancy knowledge and skills...I took my exam on the first week of December and am expecting to get the results hopefully this week, it's six weeks on Friday and I just want to know how I did - I haven't even looked at any tax stuff since the exam, I would hate to have to do the exam again. I revised so much and it probably ended up being for nothing!
  • Shell B
    Options
    I hope you do pass Keane155 as i would hate anyone having to go through resitting that again. You will have to let us know how you get on.
    I think i shall be reading over tax once in while just to jog my memory as i am totally convinced i have failed, i know you should not think like that but i have not got any good vibes on it what so ever.
    As for the practise online one i think it just leads you into a false sense of security myself because compared to the real one yesterday, it did not have hardly any complicated true false questions in it.
    Not quite sure what else to say about it to be honest apart from it was shocking.
    Just got that i cant do this feeling at the moment, hate feeling like this.

Shell B
  • Shell B
    Options
    I dont suppose anyone has an up todate version of the AAT Syllabus for personal tax???

Thanks

Shell B
Privacy Policy