Urgent help needed with FNST - Associates!

Options
spursfan323
spursfan323 Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
I studied in Kaplan and they taught us Consolidated SFP for Subsidiaries one way and told us that the AAT would give it to us in another way which we should learn instead. i.e. that the AAT give a table as follows:

Equity acq 100% / Attrib to parent at acq / Attrib to parent post acq / Attrib to NCI

Share Capital x x - x
Ret.earnings @ acq x x - x
Ret.earnings post acq x - x x
Revaluation x - x x
Total x x x x
Price Paid - (x) - -
Goodwill - x - -

I am studying ASSOCIATES now using the Kaplan book and of course they teach it their way, was wondering if anyone here can help to explain how to learn it the 'AAT way'?

Hope that makes some sense
Thanks!

NB. This is all based on my understanding that we will be tested on preparing SFP for Associates in the exam, if not true pls let me know!

Comments

• exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    you just have look on aat past papers and see just lay out difference but the result and the way to calculation the same .which way you prefer.
  • Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    When I studied DFS I didn't lay my workings for consolidated Subsidiary and Associate accounts as the AAT did in the exam answer papers. As long as you can get to the correct answers in a clear and accurate manor any method should be fine.

I am still awaiting my results though....
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    When I have taught students in the past the workings for the consolidated statement of financial position, I have often seen a lot of bewilldered looks around the room when I layout my workings for the goodwill/consolidated retained earnings and NCI figures because I also follow AAT's method of doing the workings. Conversely text books sometimes do a step-by-step approach which students are often more familiar with.

I have always said to students that it is more important to adopt a methodical and logical approach to the consolidation and the workings (i.e. a method you are more comfortable with) than trying to adopt something you are not comfortable with.

The AATs method of working is not necessarily the best way and neither is BPPs or Kaplans or mine, the best way is the way you feel more comfortable with as a student.

Kind regards
    Steve
Privacy Policy