Financial Assistance for AAT ????

hztm
hztm Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi, I would be really grateful for any advice regarding funding.

I am 19 and decided to study AAT Level 3 instead of going to Uni. I paid for this myself and am just about to complete it. I currently spend 2 days a week on unpaid work experience at a council which I have been doing for six months. The council want to employ me but can’t due to all the government cuts. I work about 10 hours per week at another part time job and spend the rest of my time studying.

Nobody is employing or taking on trainees and I now need to move on to AAT Level 4. I was wondering if there is any source of assistance available for financing this. I cannot qualify for apprenticeships as have to be working for 16 hours in accounting role. It seems that my only option is to pay for it all myself again. I guess there are lots of people in this position but any advice would be really appreciated as I am beginning to wonder if it is worth continuing with accountancy.

Thank you

Comments

• Fireraiser
    Fireraiser Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    If you're in Wales, you may be entitled to an ALG (Assembly Learning Grant) which will more than cover most FE college fees. See http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=56,1835674&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL If you're outside Wales, maybe there's something similar?
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    In Scotland you can get ILA for soem of it, however have you looked at Modern Apprenticeships? I know AAT were advertising they were available, I think the upper age limit was 21 or 25?
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    you could get a career development loan from barclays.

You dont have to pay it back till you finish your course
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I studied AAT foundation & intermediate for free under the modern appreniceship.

You had to be 19 or under when you signed up to take advantage.
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    AK002 wrote: »
    I studied AAT foundation & intermediate for free under the modern appreniceship.

You had to be 19 or under when you signed up to take advantage.

I was 19 when i started studying Lv3 and it was free.

However when i started studying Lv4 the governement had removed funding for it.

Although there was Train-to-Gain which part funded my course
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    AK002 wrote: »

Funded by English tax payers, no doubt... ;-)
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Funded by English tax payers, no doubt... ;-)

Scottish government :P!

I may be moving to London if things go my way in the next month!

Yippie (!)
  • hztm
    hztm Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thank you for all the info
  • Paul C
    Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    This is working really well at the Council I work at -

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/
  • Kia
    Kia Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Funding

Hi,

Are you able to find a full time course? I did mine full time, well it was 2 days at college 9.15-2.45, with the extra study at home it qualified for full time. I got a discount on my council tax that covered the costs.

Cheers
Privacy Policy