What is the fastest way to add new client with 64-8

Options
MoneySavingBank
MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi,

Thank you for reading my post. Sorry if this is a silly question.

We haven't got many working days left for Tax Return submissions. If we post 64-8 signed by client now, it will take about 4 weeks to be added in our Cleints List.

What is the best process in this circumstances? Shell we request it from our agents login area or otherwise...

Could somebody explain this properly for me please. I really appreciate your help and support.

Regards,

MSB

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I think thats probably the quickest way. I however use 3rd party software and you don't need a 64-8 in place to be able to file.

Makes things a lot simpler for last minute enquiries.
    Regards,

Burg
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I was told on monday byt the Agent Helpline that the lead time for setting up even electronically is 4 to 6 weeks, and that the only way to do it before the end of Jan now is for the client to set up themselves (or you do it with them) and then they should get the activation code after 5 working days and then you log in with them to do the return.

Let me know if they tell you different though as I seem to be getting a few "I didnt realise I had to do a return" people at the moment.
  • burg
    Options
    Jow774,

I think that is the case for those who have not registered for SA. From the OP I understand that the situation is that they just need the client to appear on their own HMRC online?
    Regards,

Burg
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Burg,

I thought he wanted to add the client to his Agent online, which I was told cannot be done before the end of Jan, hence my answer.
  • burg
    Options
    You may well be right but my understanding was that if they already have a UTR and you just need them online you can do online authorisation and a code will be sent within 7 working days which has a 28 day expiry. Once entered they appear online straight away.

As I say though I rarely need to do this in a rush due to using 3rd party software so I may be wrong.
    Regards,

Burg
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I sent in a 64-8 twice and then did it online. I go no response from the 64-8s, but eventually got him authorised online - took about 4 months in all!
  • Fireraiser
    Fireraiser Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    burg wrote: »
    I however use 3rd party software and you don't need a 64-8 in place to be able to file.

Makes things a lot simpler for last minute enquiries.

What s/w do you use out of interest? I assume the client needs to have been set up for online submission already? i'm gobsmacked at how many people leave this till the last minute
  • MoneySavingBank
    Options
    Software

I think Ian uses Digita for his practice.
  • burg
    Options
    I do indeed use Digita, although the case will be the same with all 3rd party software and is definitely the case with PTP and Iris.

No they do not need to be set up for online you just simply need their UTR number.
    Regards,

Burg
  • MoneySavingBank
    Options
    Thanks Burg

I didnt know that you can submit Tax Return without Agents Authorisation Form.

Many Thanks Again.

Regards,

MSB
  • burg
    Options
    You can but you can't talk to HMRC about anything to do with that client without authorisation and you won't receive any correspondence either.
    Regards,

Burg
  • MoneySavingBank
    Options
    Wow Ian,

Thanks again for a Complete Information about it.

Regards,

MSB
Privacy Policy