CBA Complaint

Options
spursfan323
spursfan323 Registered Posts: 28 Regular contributor ⭐
sat FNST CBA today.
was told by Kaplan we could complain if a question was unfair or poorly worded.
well, i had a multiple choice question on Ias 20 Government grants - it's not covered anywhere in the Kaplan book! i had to just guess it.
So who do i complain to...kaplan or the AAT?

Comments

• AmyRichardson
    AmyRichardson Registered Posts: 89 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I had one about the 'illquidty of cash equivalents' the way the question was worded was really unfair - so i also had to guess it! also had one on IAS 23 Borrowing costs - which i was told NOT to revise along with leases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    The syllabus/Guidance Notes issued by the AAT should be the baseline for your studies. Some tutors tell students not to study certain areas when it is totally inappropriate to do so! You should always be guided by the AAT's syllabus and if a tutor tells you something is not examinable but it appears in the syllabus, act on your tutor's instructions AT YOUR PERIL!

Before complaining to AAT, check the syllabus/study guide for FNST and double check that Kaplan have not included it - it may be buried somewhere in the text!

Kind regards
    Steve

p.s. IAS 17 has always been examinable in terms of differentiating between operating/finance leases.
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I had one about the 'illquidty of cash equivalents' the way the question was worded was really unfair - so i also had to guess it! also had one on IAS 23 Borrowing costs - which i was told NOT to revise along with leases!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Amy you had the same exam as me and those 2 questions threw me, hadnt read about borrowing costs and the other one was worded so i couldnt understand it. I also just guessed these! How did you find the rest of the exam? 6 long weeks to wait!!
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi, how was the exam generally? I'm taking mine next week. Sounds a bit like personal tax where some of the questions are badly worded. I think there are about 21 IAS's that are assessable and IAS 20 and IAS 23 are two of these - they are listed in the Osborne textbook I am using.
  • spursfan323
    Options
    The syllabus/Guidance Notes issued by the AAT should be the baseline for your studies. Some tutors tell students not to study certain areas when it is totally inappropriate to do so! You should always be guided by the AAT's syllabus and if a tutor tells you something is not examinable but it appears in the syllabus, act on your tutor's instructions AT YOUR PERIL!

Before complaining to AAT, check the syllabus/study guide for FNST and double check that Kaplan have not included it - it may be buried somewhere in the text!

Kind regards
    Steve

p.s. IAS 17 has always been examinable in terms of differentiating between operating/finance leases.

Thanks for your post Steve.

I am not referring to tutors telling students not to study certain areas (although that did happen with a tutor and an exam I took last year).

I am talking about IAS 20 Government Grants not appearing in the Kaplan textbook. It is listed in the beginning as part of the syllabus, but it is not discussed or explained thereafter.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi Spursfan,

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but in the index at the back of the material, does it refer to IAS 20 or 'Government Grants' anywhere.

I'm just trying to save you from a potentially embarrassing situation where students complain to the publisher that a topic is not covered, only to receive an email back referring them to the relevant pages of the text.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • spursfan323
    Options
    It doesn't!

It's probably not worth that much anyway as a multiple choice question so I may not make a fuss anyway...
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    It doesn't!

It's probably not worth that much anyway as a multiple choice question so I may not make a fuss anyway...

It's listed in the guidance for this unit as assessable so it's Kaplan at fault for not including it not the AAT for asking a question on it.
  • AmyRichardson
    AmyRichardson Registered Posts: 89 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hey becky - i found it ok - HOWEVER my normal balance sheet didnt balance i think the inventory thing threw me and the incurred costs - did it as an accrual when i think it should have been a prepayment????

my consolidated BS balanced though - and i knew the IAS36 big Question and i think i was fine on ratios!! :D

Hopefully i have passed, will see in 6 weeks time. How do you think you did chick?
  • Becky V
    Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hey becky - i found it ok - HOWEVER my normal balance sheet didnt balance i think the inventory thing threw me and the incurred costs - did it as an accrual when i think it should have been a prepayment????

my consolidated BS balanced though - and i knew the IAS36 big Question and i think i was fine on ratios!! :D

Hopefully i have passed, will see in 6 weeks time. How do you think you did chick?

Hi Amy

Yes i was exactly the same i couldnt get it to balance!! Kept going back to it, but just making it worse. There was too much to take in and i put the expense as accrual as well!!

My consolidated balance and think i got the ratios correct, but hate writing emails!!!
  • susiewong
    susiewong Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi I sat an FNST CBT today and was asked a question about IAS8 Operating segments of which Kaplan hasn't covered in their books. The IAS is mentioned but the question I was asked wasn't in there!!!

Not very good of Kaplan as even their test CBT on EN-gage has an error on it!!!!
  • spursfan323
    Options
    Hi susie, don't know what the question was but Kaplan do (briefly) discuss Operating Segments on p 270 of the textbook....?
  • susiewong
    susiewong Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi, I'm aware that it's in the book, I cant remember the exact wording of the question but it was in relation to what level of profit was to be achieved before having to do something??? This is not mentioned in the book!!!!
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    It doesn't!

This is a very dangerous attitude to take - that mistake could have been the difference between Competent and Not Yet Competent. I tell all my students to make sure they attempt all questions and put their full effort into all of them - the it's only a multiple choice question attitude will bring you down!

I woudl also say - never leave a question unanswered because half marks are better than no marks.
Privacy Policy