Registered Office Address

Options
groundy
groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
We currently allow clients to use our address as the registered office when they ask. However, while looking to increase revenue streams recently, I have thought about charging to use our address say ยฃ50 plus VAT per annum and was wondering what you all do.

I would be grateful for any comments.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    We charge ยฃ52+VAT per year.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    ยฃ10 plus VAT per month here.
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Monsoon & Dean, thanks for the reply's, just got to convince the business partner now. Can you tell me do you also charge for acting as company secretary?

Cheers
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I don't act as company secretary. As it's not compulsory any more none of my new incorps have one, or one of the directors does it.
  • KaelaH
    KaelaH Registered Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Could I be cheeky and ask why a company would want to use an address other than their own as a registered address? What benefit would if give?
  • Monsoon
    Options
    KaelaH wrote: ยป
    Could I be cheeky and ask why a company would want to use an address other than their own as a registered address? What benefit would if give?

Some don't want to give their home address if they don't have other premises

Some buy prestigious sounding registered offices in London

Some want their reg office to be with their accountants so they get all Co House and HMRC correspondence direct

:)
  • Emily-Kate
    Emily-Kate Registered Posts: 5 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    One further thing to consider re registered office.

At my local AAT branch event, about a year ago, a senior manager from Companies House gave an informative and surprisingly entertaining talk about life at CoH. One thing in particular lodged in my mind as, at the time I was acting as Registered Office for one client. Apparently (and I haven't researched this) one of the requirements of the registered office is that a plaque is prominently displayed there, at the entrance I think, showing the name of the company. If CoH ever have reason to inspect the registered office, that is something they can pick up on, and impose fines if not done.

As mentioned above, I did not check this on their website but it is something to consider ....
  • Monsoon
    Options
    One further thing to consider re registered office.

At my local AAT branch event, about a year ago, a senior manager from Companies House gave an informative and surprisingly entertaining talk about life at CoH. One thing in particular lodged in my mind as, at the time I was acting as Registered Office for one client. Apparently (and I haven't researched this) one of the requirements of the registered office is that a plaque is prominently displayed there, at the entrance I think, showing the name of the company. If CoH ever have reason to inspect the registered office, that is something they can pick up on, and impose fines if not done.

As mentioned above, I did not check this on their website but it is something to consider ....

Yep, this is something to consider when offering reg office services.

If the Reg Office is a residential address, I think this requirement is waived. Not sure if that applies if you're selling RO services as opposed to having your own Ltd Co registered at home.

It doesn't have to be a plaque; some of the larger reg offices have LED displays with all the different names revolving every few minutes and I remember reading that this is acceptable. The names have the be visible even when the premises are closed.

I have a typed list in the window of our front door.... mostly to help the poor postman :D
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Interesting. I have never seen any accountants displaying such information publicly (i.e. visible from the outside). I display my list inside as do most others. I will have to check up on what the legislation states.
  • Psyche
    Psyche Registered Posts: 187 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Contract for registered office

Hi, I have just begun to offer this service to clients who are either terrible at opening their post or out of the country. Does anyone have any boilerplate wording that I could add to my letter of engagement for provision of registered office address?
    Thanks!
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi guys, sorry to reserect such an old post but I've been asked if I will let a potentail new client use my office as her regisetred office and I have a few questions before agreeing to offer this service.

Do any of you that offer this service work in serviced offices? Our office isn't serviced but it is a single office on the first floor of a large building. I cannot display a sign bearing the client's name outside and if I was to put a list in the wondow it certainly wouldn't be seen by the public as I'm on the first floor. Where would you display it if in an office like me? I've looked on companies house and it only refers to residentail, dormant and displaying for so many seconds etc If companies house were to check, who would be liable for any fine me or the company?

Another thought is if you act as RO for several clients and display a list of those companies are you not breaking client confidentiality?

I read on a forum somewhere that as well as registering with HMRC as an accountancy service provider you need to register as a trust or company service provider, unless HMRC or not your MLR supervisor. Can anyone comment on that please?
Privacy Policy