Att

Options
MHagger
MHagger Registered Posts: 17 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
Hi,

I have just started up as MIP, but am thinking of starting to study ATT, as I think this will help build my confidence and expand knowledge in the tax area.

Are there many of you studying ATT? and would advise to do or not do it?
It's been awhile since studying and feeling nervous about it.

Any advice would be great :)

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi yeah there are a few of us.
    Current active threads chatting about ATT are here:

http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=29835
    http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=30025
    http://forums.aat.org.uk/showthread.php?t=30034

Come and join in! :)
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Have your books come yet Jenni?

Edit: Don't bother to answer I've seen your other post!
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I think Ive asked this before, but has anybody done att with just the study texts alone?
  • Monsoon
    Options
    jow774 wrote: ยป
    I think Ive asked this before, but has anybody done att with just the study texts alone?

I'm doing it like this.
  • MHagger
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for the advice, and have looked the threads about ATT and now scared!
    Seriously, I would be looking at doing distance learning, I believe this is what your doing Monsoon, is that right?

I think I am to late to join for May, but will sign up and look to sit in November.

Thanks
  • jilt
    Options
    You're not too late MHagger. I'm just starting p3 and there are a few others just starting.
    I did all my AAT on my own and did MAC in 6 weeks, not recommended I know but there's 12 weeks to go until the ATT exams.

Only you can decide if it's enough time. Which paper were you thinking of doing?
  • MHagger
    Options
    Hi Jilt.

I was looking at Per Tax and VAT, but I haven't even registered yet, I thought the deadline for registering was end of October?

I shall check ATT via email and see if I can sign up would like to get started ASAP.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I thought you needed to be a student for 6 months bfore you can sit an exam but could be wrong.

I'm not doing distance learning, I'm just buying the text books.....!! :ohmy:
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Although the exam registration deadline is 28th Feb you need to be registered as a student with the ATT for 6 months before you sit an exam so it would be too late for the May sitting. I do agree it could be done with just 12 weeks of study though, as Jilt says its not recommended though.

If you sign up now it will give you plenty of time to study for November which will make it easier and you could still easily be done by next May
  • jilt
    Options
    Hi Jilt.

I was looking at Per Tax and VAT, but I haven't even registered yet, I thought the deadline for registering was end of October?

I shall check ATT via email and see if I can sign up would like to get started ASAP.

Sorry I didn't realise you weren't registered, just thought you meant from a studying point of view.
  • jow774
    Options
    I'm doing it like this.

Hi Monsoon,

Which books did you get and how much did they cost if you dont mind me asking. I saw BPP books on waterstones but they are about ยฃ45 each. Did you buy the passcards and revision packs 2, and did you go to main centre to sit exams or one near you?

20 questions, lol.

Thanks
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Text books ยฃ50 each direct from BPP plus delivery. Just the books, no passcards or revision packs.

I'm going to the nearest exam centre provided direct from the ATT :)
  • jilt
    Options
    Jow you can sometimes get them on Amazon for a bit less but have to make sure that they are the correct editions, eg FA 2010 for the 2011 exams.
  • jow774
    Options
    Ok thanks Jilt and Monsoon, I will start to keep my eyes open for them. Is it alot harder than AAT or just the next step, Im not bad with tax, although my knowledge seems to be purely personal tax at the moment.
  • Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Ok I am so tempted now.
    Been looking on BPP and the ebooks are ยฃ30. However the are FA2010. Does anyone know if they will be ok to use for exams in November 2011.
  • andrewtdk
    andrewtdk Registered Posts: 150 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    They keep the same finance act for the May and November sittings so both this years exams will be on FA 2010.
  • MHagger
    Options
    I am going to have a look on amazon or waterstones for my books, looking forward to start studying again ( sad I know) but I enjoyed studying AAT, mind you I didn't have a 4 year old running around back then!

Thanks again for everyone's advice most helpful!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Jow, look on the ATT website, they've hidden them a bit now but go to Students>current students>examinations>past papers and have a look at the questions. It's a big step up, but it's all do-able. :)
  • Rachel
    Options
    Thanks Monsoon

I have printed of some past papers to have a read through, to see how far off I am and then decide.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    My Personal Tax and VAT books arrived today.

I'm scared!! :lol:

Seriously, I don't know if I have a chance of doing 2 exams in May, I might just choose the one. Realistically I only have 2 months and wow, they are SO in depth compared to the AAT tax exams!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Don't be scared, just start with one unit, see what you know and how you get on? Before starting on the second unit.
  • Rachel
    Options
    Well the papers I printed off are still sat in the printer so haven't read them yet but I won't be doing the exams until November anyway.

I finished ACCA in 2003 so I am not even sure if I still have it in me to study but ATT sounds just what I need to get that exta knowledge.

Monsoon, I am sure you will be fine, you always help with problems so I bet most of the knowledge is already in your head.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Rachel wrote: ยป
    Monsoon, I am sure you will be fine, you always help with problems so I bet most of the knowledge is already in your head.

Thanks Rachel.

The level of detail in these exams is really high. It just makes me acutely aware of how much I don't know! But then, that's a very good reason for studying :)

I think everyon'es got it in them to be able to do it - just pick it up and go for it, it's hard work but like you say, it's that extra knowledge that you feel you need, and it will be worth it once we are on the other side!!
  • jilt
    Options
    it will be worth it once we are on the other side!!

Would that be the spirit world :lol:

Hey, no cheating allowed!
  • Monsoon
    Options
    jilt wrote: ยป
    Would that be the spirit world :lol:
    Yes these exams may kill me! :-D
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Yes these exams may kill me! :-D

Either that or you'll be drinking in the bar afterwards!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • mc25
    mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

I cannot believe I have just read about ATT exams. I registered with Tolley in Nov 2010 I haven't done much yet as I have been busy. To be honest was hoping to sit for my exams in May but at this rate I really dont think so, I might have to postponed it till Nov. There is one thing I didn't know that I had to be registered with ATT for at least 6months before I can sit for the exams, I better do it now then. Thanks everyone.
  • noodles
    noodles Registered Posts: 308 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    When I first opened up the VAT manual I thought that looked very daunting but I have read it all once now and it isn't too bad. I now have 2 months to make it all sink in. It is the law side of it that i can not get my head around but i will try my best. I am thinking of doing Personal tax and ethics together in Nov and then it is all done, I am really starting to enjoy studying again after such a long long loooooooonnnnnnng break!!
Privacy Policy