Advice and help please!!!!!

Options
spursmad
spursmad Registered Posts: 4 New contributor šŸø
I got my AAT qualifications in 2004 doing it on part time/evening courses whilst working in the production manufacturing industries, where I am still working. Since then I have worked for a few charitable organisations gaining some practical experience on an on/off part time basis depending on my shift pattern till 2009. I am tired of doing shifts now and would like to go into finance/accounting on a full time basis but do not know where to start. Your advice and help will be greatly appreciated. I live in Essex.

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    You don't say what you do, and make very little mention of any relevant accounting experience.

At the moment it sounds like you might like to find an accounting role of some description to give you more experience in a broader range of accounting functions.

What do you know about Payroll, VAT, Sales and Purchase Ledger, Credit Control and book-keeping?

Do you have real practical experience or did you just do the AAT course?

Look at your life planning; where do you want to be 1 year/5 years/10 years from now?

Is it that you just want to give up night work (which I know is really hard and anti-social hours)?

I'm guessing that you work for an organisation that is big enough to have its own accounts department, have you thought about talking to the management about your AAT qualification and seeing if you could look at transferring within the company?

There are many options, but from the information you've given us so far, it's hard to offer specific advice.

Anna :wink:
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    anniem wrote: Ā»
    I'm guessing that you work for an organisation that is big enough to have its own accounts department, have you thought about talking to the management about your AAT qualification and seeing if you could look at transferring within the company?

Following up on this, you could also look for things like, assisting the purchasing administrator or warehouse administrator in your company. If it's not in accounts yet, at least it's in the direction of some office experience, which may lead to more within the company.
  • spursmad
    spursmad Registered Posts: 4 New contributor šŸø
    Options
    Advice Needed

I have done some bank reconciliations,VAT returns, sales and purchase ledgers. I have also done some payroll work using Iris payroll software. At the moment I work as a control room operative, controlling the working functions of production machinery. I have only been with my present employer for about two months because my previous employer transferred its business abroad. My current employer out sourced its accounts as its a small company. Hope this additional info will help.
    Thanks
    Chris
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    spursmad wrote: Ā»
    I have done some bank reconciliations,VAT returns, sales and purchase ledgers. I have also done some payroll work using Iris payroll software. At the moment I work as a control room operative, controlling the working functions of production machinery. I have only been with my present employer for about two months because my previous employer transferred its business abroad. My current employer out sourced its accounts as its a small company. Hope this additional info will help.
    Thanks
    Chris

Good that you have the experience, that will help a lot! Its a real employers market and without both qualifications and experience you'll struggle to get anything.

And you current job in the control room could be relevant experience, as long as its possible to word in a way that makes it sound similar to financial controls?!

What could work, is going for a finance job in the industries you know, because then you understand the nature of the business.
Privacy Policy