Is it me?

jow774
jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I have been to see a potential client today who was after a book keeper. When I went to see him he actually wants someone to do all his accounting, corporation tax, vat, cis and when it came to discussing fees he said he was advised to pay £7 per hour! I politely declined, it was a small company but surely doing just book keeping deserves a bit more than £7 per hour, never mind taxation! Im astounded every potential client I get seems to want something for nothing! Is it me or should I be doing all that for £7 per hour?

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    No, you shouldn't be doing all that work for £7 an hour - he's just being plain rude.

If he can find someone qualified to do what he wants/needs done and pay them not much more than the minimum wage then good luck to him!!!!!! No doubt he would want blood and would always be grumbling about how much it was costing him too.

Stick to your guns Jow, you'll find clients who will appreciate your true worth in £ss.

Quite honestly, he isn't worth worrying about.
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • jow774
    Thanks Annie, Im having a nightmare trying to get clients, I only seem to get the wrong ones at the moment. Because Im just starting out its tempting to take every client in case you dont get anymore, but even I could resist this one. I know your right but it made me so annoyed. When I said no, he told me to have a think about it over the weekend! Madness, lol.
  • anniem
    jow774 wrote: »
    Thanks Annie, Im having a nightmare trying to get clients, I only seem to get the wrong ones at the moment. Because Im just starting out its tempting to take every client in case you dont get anymore, but even I could resist this one. I know your right but it made me so annoyed. When I said no, he told me to have a think about it over the weekend! Madness, lol.

I think he needs to re-evaluate the source of his £7 advice, as it's possible that they thought he was looking at taking on an accounts/admin assistant/office junior rather than a 'freelance accountant' to deal with his whole accounting requirements!
  • anniem
    Phone rang.

Meant to also post:

I'm a new MIP too and I keep an eye on this website http://uk.servicestart.com .

You have to 'buy' the details of the person looking for the service, but I have had results from the site, whereas so far, I haven't had any results from any other proper advertising - only friends and existing clients/word of mouth.

With the website I do feel that you can also choose what you want to reply to and if you're anything like me you're trying to stay in your immediate comfort zone to begin with!
  • sjkr
    sjkr Registered Posts: 74 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi,

I am also trying to start my own accountancy business, and am struggling for clients, but there is no way I would do all that for £7 per hour.

I left my last job because £7 per hour was the amount I was being paid, and it just wasn't enough for what I was doing. I think that he has got his wires crossed, as was said previously that is the sort of money you would pay an unqualified office assistant.

So don't take the job on! I hope you find some better clients (and hope I do too!) It is difficult.
  • jow774
    anniem wrote: »
    Phone rang.

Meant to also post:

I'm a new MIP too and I keep an eye on this website http://uk.servicestart.com .

You have to 'buy' the details of the person looking for the service, but I have had results from the site, whereas so far, I haven't had any results from any other proper advertising - only friends and existing clients/word of mouth.

With the website I do feel that you can also choose what you want to reply to and if you're anything like me you're trying to stay in your immediate comfort zone to begin with!

Thanks Annie, I will definately try that. I only have a couple of clients, Ive had 2 enquiries this week, one who I couldnt do a mortgage letter for and now this one, lol.
  • jow774
    sjkr wrote: »
    Hi,

I am also trying to start my own accountancy business, and am struggling for clients, but there is no way I would do all that for £7 per hour.

I left my last job because £7 per hour was the amount I was being paid, and it just wasn't enough for what I was doing. I think that he has got his wires crossed, as was said previously that is the sort of money you would pay an unqualified office assistant.

So don't take the job on! I hope you find some better clients (and hope I do too!) It is difficult.

Its a nightmare isnt it, we'll keep our fingers x'd for each other.
  • anniem
    jow774 wrote: »
    Thanks Annie, I will definately try that. I only have a couple of clients, Ive had 2 enquiries this week, one who I couldnt do a mortgage letter for and now this one, lol.

Why couldn't you do the mortgage letter? Was it a bank that doesn't accept AAT?
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Here's another website for you to try..

http://www.accountantsquoteme.co.uk

Also handy for seeing how much your competitors charge!
  • jow774
    anniem wrote: »
    Why couldn't you do the mortgage letter? Was it a bank that doesn't accept AAT?

Yes, Skipton Building Society.
Privacy Policy