Just curious.

TIA

x x x

Comments

• Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hello

There is an interesting article about this in the March 2011 edition of PQ.

I have tried to attach it but the file is too large, even after zipping it!

If you would like me to email it over send me a pm with your email.

Kind regards.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Sorry to jump on your thread, but I just saw this thread and wandered what 'PQ' was. Had a google and it is a really good magazine! Thanks for pointing it out! It has some really useful stuff in it!
    I have subscribed! :)

Ta Becca

x
  • GinnyBee
    GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    PQ is an online and print magazine for part qualified accountants of all types. You can subscribe and have it mailed to you or just read online.

http://www.pqaccountant.com/
  • Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi

I've had a look and also subscribed to PQ, thanks for the link.

I might be being stupid here but i am sutdying AAT - Technician a a trainee (previously completed A levels) in the in the South West whilst working in private practice.
    Looking at the salary calculator should i be looking at the £21,000 - £24,000 "AAT studier bracket" or the £11,000 - £14,000 "A-level trainee bracket"? I'm fairly certain it's the latter.

Thanks

Nick
  • BeccaLouJ9
    BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I would say AAT studier bracket.. That's what you are-- Studying AAT!! I guess you would also be the other!? Maybe it's just which ever you think is more relevant- It's only an est anyway right?
    I'm also in the south west and out of those two I would say AAT Studier for myself! (No where near being paid that amount atm though!!)

B x
  • MattW
    MattW Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Interesting article, wonder where they got their stats from - i hardly ever see jobs advertised for AAT quals.

I always thought the Chartered part quals got more than AAT's? If they think the banding is 32-35k for an AAT studier i wonder what a qualified AAT member should be getting. Only 2 sims left for me...think i'll be asking for a review on completion!! Maybe not in this climate.

Did anyone else fill out that Salary Survey recently sent out by the AAT in conjunction with Michael Page - would be interesting to see how the results compare.
  • Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    BeccaLouJ9 wrote: »
    I would say AAT studier bracket.. That's what you are-- Studying AAT!! I guess you would also be the other!? Maybe it's just which ever you think is more relevant- It's only an est anyway right?
    I'm also in the south west and out of those two I would say AAT Studier for myself! (No where near being paid that amount atm though!!)

B x

Your not alone, that's why i assumed the lower bracket. All the people i attend classes with are around the same as well. £21,000 - £24,000 seems very optimistic for someone studying AAT.

This is where i hope someone tells me I'm wrong!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Qualified AAT seem to get about £21k ish in industry (give or take depending on the role), a bit less in practice, from what I've seen.

I think what you can get before you're qualified all depends on the role, the employer, and your experience as this is just as important as qualifications.

I'm afraid to say I think £20k+ when studying AAT is on the high side but I'm sure students who have plenty of experience could get that.

Trouble is, there is so much demand for jobs at the moment, candidates are willing to be paid less just to get the job and thus the experience. I think some employers are taking advantage of this as they are being hit by the economic climate as much as anyone else is.
  • Daz1865
    Daz1865 Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    In my office the people who are AAT qualified are on between 19k and 25k. Our manager is CIMA qualified and is on £32k.

I really shouldn't be allowed access to the payroll system by the way. Look at the mischief I get up to.
  • nc82
    nc82 Registered Posts: 33 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Daz1865 wrote: »
    In my office the people who are AAT qualified are on between 19k and 25k. Our manager is CIMA qualified and is on £32k.

I really shouldn't be allowed access to the payroll system by the way. Look at the mischief I get up to.

I have recently qualified, I'm a full member with 4.5 years purchase ledger experience I'm soon to be offered a new role as finance assistant and my boss has stated a salary of 19k - 19.5k i was expecting more like 21.5k - 23k! I'm based in west mids and work for a large company who tend to pay market rate but everyone is jumping on recession band wagon which has driven salaries down!
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I'm moving to industry and doubling my current salary working in practice, to just under £30k :)!

Only qualified AAT in Aug.
  • nc82
    Options
    AK002 wrote: »
    I'm moving to industry and doubling my current salary working in practice, to just under £30k :)!

That's a handsome payrise what your role?
  • AK002
    Options
    Going from Trainee Accountant to Assistant Accountant.

The salary thing in the PQ Mag seems a bit all over the place, lol.
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    AK , aren't you moving to London? So you'll probably find your living costs are much higher than Glasgow.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Monsoon wrote: »
    Trouble is, there is so much demand for jobs at the moment, candidates are willing to be paid less just to get the job and thus the experience. I think some employers are taking advantage of this as they are being hit by the economic climate as much as anyone else is.

I've read accountancy mags talking about the reduced expectation of high salaries. Reading between the lines they were saying it was necessary business strategy to keep salaries low in the current climate. And this is backed up by salary statistics being way behind the current levels of inflation.

To sum it up, its a pretty grim time for us all!
  • nc82
    Options
    Going from Trainee Accountant to Assistant Accountant.

The salary thing in the PQ Mag seems a bit all over the place, lol.

Ah that figures then, about right for the position.
  • sianisian
    sianisian Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    That salary checker is very weird. An AAT studier earns more than an assistant accountant (do they mean an unqualified/QBE?!) and earns more than a CIMA PQ with 4 years experience...?? That doesn't sound right...

Anyway, to add my two-pence worth, I am working as an assistant accountant in East Anglia, studying AAT level 4 and I am currently on £24k.
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    london will add always £5k more to your salary ...at least that is what our company do ...same job will just offer you more because of the cost of living and the transport, ie the commute and feeling like a sardine in the tube .....

i am a credit controller just outside london and i am on £22K + £4.8K performance bonus. i asked for £25K + Bonus but i didnt have any experience (was working as sales order processor) so i got offered £22K which i accepted as they said after i had done and passed my exams they will review ....
  • mark057
    mark057 Registered Posts: 354 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I'm fully AAT qualified with solid basic accounts experience behind me.

I'm looking for work at present in a variety of work areas and am looking at salaries anywhere between £12,000 to £15,000 ish.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Is it any wonder it's a challenge knowing what the right rate of pay is for people when there is so much disparity?!

Sianisian are you working in industry or in practice?
  • Marga
    Marga Registered Posts: 981 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    if i hear anything i'll let you know
  • exam panic
    exam panic Registered Posts: 157 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options

Lucky for some but how many years have you been working in the field.I think that count more than aat qualified title .I'm the same you qualified from aat in last august but I can't find a single interview .take most people 3 years to do aat and come out struggle to find job
  • AK002
    Options
    Been in work for 4.5 years, been in a 'current' role, i.e. accounts for just under 2.5 I think.

I don't envy job hunters and wish them all the best... i don't think I could do it!
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I'm an Accounts Assistant in Industry, been in the role for 3yrs, AAT Qualified Feb10, currently studying ACCA, live near Manchester, currently on 12,250
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    It's a fact that industry pay more than practice.

Recently in London there was an advert for an Accountant where the successful candidate for this role should be either AAT qualified, QBE or part qualified ACCA/CIMA

Salary...£40K :-)))))
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Londina wrote: »
    It's a fact that industry pay more than practice.

Recently in London there was an advert for an Accountant where the successful candidate for this role should be either AAT qualified, QBE or part qualified ACCA/CIMA

Salary...£40K :-)))))
    So did you get it? :)
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Rinske wrote: »
    So did you get it? :)

Nope, shame I'm not looking for a job at the moment! such a good position always come out when you are already sorted, damn!!
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    sianisian wrote: »
    That salary checker is very weird. An AAT studier earns more than an assistant accountant (do they mean an unqualified/QBE?!) and earns more than a CIMA PQ with 4 years experience...?? That doesn't sound right...

Anyway, to add my two-pence worth, I am working as an assistant accountant in East Anglia, studying AAT level 4 and I am currently on £24k.

i'm in the wrong company then. lol.
  • LucyN
    LucyN Registered Posts: 23 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Same here as Sianisian, im an Assistant Accountant in Herts (East Anglia ish, about 9 miles from Stansted Airport) and on 24k, i passed my AAT last month and started a year ago on that salary.

There are a lot of people moving to this town from all over the country for work atm, maybe the salary is why.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    Lucy is that in practice or industry? I'm guessing industry but would be interested to know which.
Privacy Policy