Starting new job in a week

Options
diane79
diane79 Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

Just hoping for a bit of advice.

I start a new job in just over a week, which I'm really looking forward to, but I am having to work 4 weeks notice for my current employer.

I was just beginning to think that by the time my first day arrives it will seem like ages since I have had contact with my new employer.

Do you think I should send an email or make a call to my new boss to say I'm still going to turn up and am looking forward to the role? Or will I be coming across as a bit of a stalker/desperate type?

Any suggestions will be great

Comments

• Claire321
    Claire321 Registered Posts: 209 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    You could email them or write a nice letter, saying that you are looking forward to starting your new position and ask if there's anything you need to provide in the meantime (e.g referees) or if there is anything specific you need to bring on your first day, if they haven't already stated this in your offer letter.

Sometimes it's nice to make a quick phone call to you new boss, then you have a bit of a friendly chat and ask the same as above or similar.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Never done, never known anyone who has. While recruitment consultants or an employer will often start check a candidate, I haven't heard of candidates contacting their future employer themselves, saying "Don't worry, I'm still gonna turn up next week..."

If anything, I think doing so could actually have negative connotations as you might sow the seeds of doubt in their minds that you won't arrive on the big day! Save introductions for the day itself - any prior contact is just taking your manager away from their routine in the meantime and might not be particularly appreciated. And yes, you might come across as being a bit needy.

Nice thought - just not really required.
  • diane79
    diane79 Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thanks both for your advice.

I wouldn't have thought of contacting my new employer except for on Monday, the person who had been hired to replace me, didn't turn up and sent an email half an hour after they were due to start saying the journey in to work was too much and therefore will not be joining the company. After this my manager was very dubious that the next person offered the job would actually turn up.

Although I guess this is the execption rather than the norm. And I have sent a written acceptance letter saying they can contact me if needed otherwise I look forward to seeing you on my start date.

I'm suppose I'm just not that used to starting new jobs... (and hopefully I won't have to)

:D
  • Lee
    Lee Registered Posts: 29 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Congratulations for landing a new job!!! In my own opinion I do not think phoning or e-mailing would be a good idea as you have accepted their offer anyway. You have entered into a agreement therefore it's binding.
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    diane79 wrote: »
    Thanks both for your advice.

I wouldn't have thought of contacting my new employer except for on Monday, the person who had been hired to replace me, didn't turn up and sent an email half an hour after they were due to start saying the journey in to work was too much and therefore will not be joining the company. After this my manager was very dubious that the next person offered the job would actually turn up.

Although I guess this is the execption rather than the norm. And I have sent a written acceptance letter saying they can contact me if needed otherwise I look forward to seeing you on my start date.

I'm suppose I'm just not that used to starting new jobs... (and hopefully I won't have to)

:D

Similar thing happened in place where I work. Althought the person had 6 months notice due to the position. The day before they were due to start, "I am unable to take the position".

6 MONTHS notice and they leave it until the day before! So rude.

Good luck with your new job, and I am sure your new employer hasn't had the thought cross their mind you won't turn up.
Privacy Policy