MAAT vs ACCA

Options
talinka
talinka Registered Posts: 45 Regular contributor ⭐
I am a bit confused regarding AAT membership. I have only unit 10 left to finish and qualify. If I would progress to ACCA would it be beneficial for me to apply for MAAT and get one year's experience or it's not really needed as I will be still studying?

And if I choose not to do ACCA and get MAAT, would it mean I have to pay membership fee each year?

Thank you.
Nata

Comments

• Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    To have the letters MAAT after your name you have to pay an application for membership fee (one off) and then the annual membership fee each year. If you are studying ACCA as well, then you would also have to pay their student membership fee each year as well.

I would say it is beneficial to have both, that's what I'm doing now. As having the MAAT letters after your name shows you have completed a professional qualification and are a member of a professional body. You won't get any letters from ACCA until you complete their qualification, which might be a long while off yet. I'm thinking once I get to that stage I might drop MAAT to save the subscription fee, but I think it's definitely worth having until then (and it looks good when I sign letters at work!)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    To have the letters MAAT after your name you have to pay an application for membership fee (one off) and then the annual membership fee each year. If you are studying ACCA as well, then you would also have to pay their student membership fee each year as well.

I would say it is beneficial to have both, that's what I'm doing now. As having the MAAT letters after your name shows you have completed a professional qualification and are a member of a professional body. You won't get any letters from ACCA until you complete their qualification, which might be a long while off yet. I'm thinking once I get to that stage I might drop MAAT to save the subscription fee, but I think it's definitely worth having until then (and it looks good when I sign letters at work!)

I worked hard for AAT and value it, so I feel reluctant to drop it to save a bit of money.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Also whilst you are studying ACCA you can get reduced rate AAT subscription - assuming that still runs?
  • PGM
    Options
    Also whilst you are studying ACCA you can get reduced rate AAT subscription - assuming that still runs?

Yeah I got that, about half price. Combined with reduced ACCA student membership, it is going to be a fair price hike now I've passed ACCA...
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    I worked hard for AAT and value it, so I feel reluctant to drop it to save a bit of money.

I see where you're coming from, and I do value being an AAT member, but once I can use the ACCA letters, what additional benefit is there to being MAAT aswell and paying twice the subscription? I haven't definitely made up my mind to drop it, and it'll be a long way off before I get ACCA.

Thanks Blue Wednesday, I'm also getting the reduced rate AAT subscription, but I don't think that applies to full ACCA membership? So as PGM has already said, quite a big hike in membership fees (that I would have to pay for myself as my employer doesn't).
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I feel your pain, I pay my ACCA membership (about £195) but luckily my boss pays my AAT one. If he didn't I would too be questionning the value of it, I'm not an MIP and other than a couple of branch events which I use for CPD, I don't trouble the AAT much!!

However whilst my boss is paying for it I do want to keep it going, it's such a valuable qualification that I want to at least provide some support.
  • PGM
    Options
    I feel your pain, I pay my ACCA membership (about £195) but luckily my boss pays my AAT one. If he didn't I would too be questionning the value of it, I'm not an MIP and other than a couple of branch events which I use for CPD, I don't trouble the AAT much!!

However whilst my boss is paying for it I do want to keep it going, it's such a valuable qualification that I want to at least provide some support.

There should be a reduced AAT rate for chartered people. Because a lot of people will be dropping AAT, and if they do keep it they'll be calling upon its services considerably less, as Bluewednesday says.
Privacy Policy