Congratulations Steve

Options
Gill Gittings
Gill Gittings Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Steve I have received your book today and just want to congratulate you on this achievement. I hope I can write something as comprehensive as this one day.

I also want to thank you for all your help on these forums.

Gill x

Comments

• Julia
    Julia Registered Posts: 78 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Many congratulations Steve.
  • Barry
    Barry Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I start a new job next week and have been trying to get hold of this but the link given was broke. Any ideas where I can get it from?
  • Glynis
    Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Does anyone know if it will help students ? My Kaplan text book is quite hard to work with.
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    Does anyone know if it will help students ? My Kaplan text book is quite hard to work with.

HI Glynis,

I've not seen Steve's book so can't comment on the suitability for F8. However, I can recommend a book written by Alan Lewin, the previous F8 examiner. It is not a substitute for a Kaplan/BPP text book as it does not cover the entire syllabus. I used it when I studied F8 last year.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Students-Guide-Auditing-Alan-Lewin/dp/0857322036/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1300631537&sr=1-2
  • Glynis
    Options
    Thank you Richard. I bought that book last year before my exam in December and didn't really find it helpful. I just want something that will help me pass.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. Gill, I hope it helps you.

Barry, most of the major retailers are selling it, but I have done a search for you and Asda seem to be the cheapest closely followed by WH Smith.

The book can be used by students but it has been written for auditors and accountants in practice.

Once again, thanks for your kind words.

Regards
    Steve
  • Gill Gittings
    Gill Gittings Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Hi,

Thank you for your kind words. Gill, I hope it helps you.

I am sure it will Steve. Out of interest how do you get started on something like this? It must have taken you ages :)
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    I am sure it will Steve. Out of interest how do you get started on something like this? It must have taken you ages :)

Hi Gill,

I have been asked this question (along with several others!!) a lot since the book published - particularly on lectures I have spoken at. I was also interviewed recently and have uploaded a copy of the questions and answers onto my firms website which I hope will make for interesting reading!

All the best,
    Steve
  • Glynis
    Options
    I will buy a copy as I am still looking for a practise job and it might help me.
    Well done Steve.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Hi steve firstly very well done :-)

do you know if this will be avaluable ob electronic readers?
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    Hi A-vic,

Thank you.

I am going to be speaking to the publisher this week as they need to agree the marketing issues with me, so I'll definitely ask the question for you and let you know.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • beverly hudson
    beverly hudson Registered Posts: 95 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Please don't take this opinion the wrong way Steve but the cover looks somewhat bland. I am sure the book is innovative but books sell through the cover.

Just my opinion.
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    No offence taken, Beverly, though admittedly I was not aware you had actually written any books.

My book is part of a regulatory series, so the cover follows a set design by the publisher. If you look at my books counterpart and this one you will see all the books in the range do not have a choice of cover, other than colour.

The saying 'don't judge a book by its cover' could well be appropriate in these situations.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    If you don't have anything decent to say....
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Please don't take this opinion the wrong way Steve but the cover looks somewhat bland. I am sure the book is innovative but books sell through the cover.

Just my opinion.

You know what they say, don't judge a book by it's cover...it's not a fiction book, no one is going to read this book unless they either have an interest in the subject or are studying it. I for one would be more concerned with the content than it having a more asthetic cover.
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    I for one would be more concerned with the content than it having a more asthetic cover.

Thank you JassasGirl. This book took me a year to write and it was bloody hard work to write it - harder than tutoring students, harder than studying for my exams, harder than lecturing in front of a room of 150 accountants and harder than writing any article for AccountingWEB!

The publishers know what they are doing and they know how to market the book. Rest assured Beverly it won't be sold to an inappropriate audience, but the hard work this title commanded from me will not be undermined by those that have not bought, or reviewed, the book.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Thanks steve :-)
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I'm amazed you find so much time to do all the extra things beside work. If I was wearing a hat, I would take it off for you!

Congratulations

I do hope you won't have any more negative comments for no reason.
  • qwerty
    qwerty Registered Posts: 82 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I, too, have Steve's book and I am currently reading through it. I find it time consuming reading the book on top of all my other commitments, so hats off to Steve for writing it on top of all of his.

As for the comments on the book's cover, I purchased the book because it will help with my CPD needs and because I know the author is hugely respected has a great deal of knowledge in the area of audit. I am sure many others will overlook the cover and instead take into account the content and the author which are far more important.

So, well done Steve, and thank you.
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options

Just my opinion.

So long as Steve's name's on the cover I'm sure it will sell just fine. Reputation must be more marketable than a pretty picture.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    I am still looking for a practise job

the cover looks somewhat bland

You can always rely on these forums to brighten up a grim Monday morning.
  • beverly hudson
    beverly hudson Registered Posts: 95 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Steve please accept my apologies for my comments. I should not have made the comments and hope I have not caused you any upset. Incidentally no I have not written any books.
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    qwerty wrote: ยป
    I, too, have Steve's book and I am currently reading through it. I find it time consuming reading the book on top of all my other commitments, so hats off to Steve for writing it on top of all of his.

As for the comments on the book's cover, I purchased the book because it will help with my CPD needs and because I know the author is hugely respected has a great deal of knowledge in the area of audit. I am sure many others will overlook the cover and instead take into account the content and the author which are far more important.

So, well done Steve, and thank you.

Thank you qwerty. I hope you find the book helpful. I've tried to be as practical as possible which I am hoping helps auditors/accountants.

All the best,
    Steve
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    Thank you Rinske and Jodie R for your kind comments!

All the best,
    Steve
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Options
    Steve you are right and I apologise to anyone who was offended by my post. I will no longer contribute to any further discussions on here. Good luck for the future.

Beverly, what's happened to this?

Anyway, according to your posts you only use this forum to belittle Steve in every occasion.

@ Steve, congratulations!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    On a more personally interesting note, I have to say your Facebook profile's been looking a little shoddy as of late, Collings.
Privacy Policy