Timesheets and Invoicing

Options
Gem7321
Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Hi everyone

What system/software do you use for keeping your timesheets and managing your WIP/invoices?

I've been using www.livetimeonline.com for a short while but now I have more clients I need a more reliable system - I find the reports and billing processes don't work well on here.

Ideally I'd like something (free!) in access or excel - I don't necessarily have to raise invoices through here but I need something that says yes I have billed this and it updates my WIP correctly. Can anyone recommend anything or even a template I may be able to use? (By the way I'm a complete moron when it comes to access!)

Thanks

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I don't run timesheets :) If I want to track time, I will just make a note of it on the task.

For managing my WIP I use Outlook tasks, colour coded to say whether I'm waiting for client, or it's current work that I can do, or if it's waiting for HMRC etc.

For invoicing I just use Quickbooks 2005 and run my complete bookkeeping in there.

It's not that comprehensive but works for me.

I'm not convinced fully integrated software in this manner actually saves that much time/ is worth the extra money.
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    Similarly I do not run timesheets. I did for the first year and I just used an excel workbook.

For bookkeeping I use VT T+.

There are a few I have looked at and the best seemed to be Iris' Time and Fees but the advantages only came in if you used the full Iris suite.
    Regards,

Burg
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I downloaded a little program called 'manic time' last week - I've not really had a chance to see its full potential yet, but basically the way it works is it just automatically runs in the background tracking whatever you're doing (ie it'll track the name of the spreadsheet/websites that you're viewing) and you can then review it at any point. there's pretty colour-coded time lines and you can manually add in extra data as necessary. also, if you've been away from your computer it asks if you want to tag your time away when you return. I think it could be useful and it's free so give it a go.
    Jodie
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    JodieR wrote: Β»
    I downloaded a little program called 'manic time' last week - I've not really had a chance to see its full potential yet, but basically the way it works is it just automatically runs in the background tracking whatever you're doing (ie it'll track the name of the spreadsheet/websites that you're viewing) and you can then review it at any point. there's pretty colour-coded time lines and you can manually add in extra data as necessary. also, if you've been away from your computer it asks if you want to tag your time away when you return. I think it could be useful and it's free so give it a go.
    Jodie

Will it track all your facebook time :D

I used to use a simple spreadsheet, I think thats enough when its just a handfull of people. Now we have a full blown Sage 200 project accounting module which we spend many hours feeding data into...
  • Gem7321
    Options
    JodieR wrote: Β»
    automatically runs in the background tracking whatever you're doing (ie it'll track the name of the spreadsheet/websites that you're viewing)

Oh dear I don't think I'd want that much detail, my computer would tell me off for spending too much time on here :D

I can create a simple excel spreadsheet for keeping timesheets but I'm not sure of the best way to manage my WIP in excel. PGM - have you still got a copy of the spreadsheet I could have a sneaky look at?
  • JodieR
    Options
    PGM wrote: Β»
    Will it track all your facebook time :D

QUOTE]

Yes it does! BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Gem7321 wrote: Β»
    PGM - have you still got a copy of the spreadsheet I could have a sneaky look at?

Sorry it was several years ago, distant memory now.

But it was nothing fancy, days going down column A and projects along the row at the top.
  • JodieR
    Options
    If you don't want something quite as honestly invasive in your life you can use the 'Journal' feature in outlook which just tracks when word/excel files are opened & closed. Personally I find it hard to keep track of my time during the day and by the next day I've often forgotten so it's handy to have something to refer back to when I'm invoicing clients at an hourly rate.
  • JodieR
    Options
    Gem I've got a simple spreadsheet set up which my employee uses - if you PM me I'll email it to you.
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I use a program called Four Four Time, Although I am not sure it is what you are looking for.

It is like having a stop watch on your computer with start and stop buttons. You can run reports by project or by day/week/ month etc. You can also add manual updates if you have done some work away from your computer.

I usually subtract time from the project/client when I raise my invoices.

It costs in the region of Β£50-Β£60 and has saved me a lot of time on manual timesheets.
  • Gem7321
    Options
    Hi Sue

That program sounds good but I think I would forget to start and stop the clock! I will have a look though thank you.

Jodie - thanks very much I have PMd you.
  • Sue
    Sue Registered Posts: 217 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    There is a free demonstation that you can download and try. I often forget to start and stop as well and have to make manual adjustments!!

A thought for anyone that knows about programming. Last time I spoke to the people at Four Four Time they were looking to sell and asked if I knew anyone that might be interested.
Privacy Policy