Study Text/Material - Kaplan/Osborne

Options
Jo Clark
Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
Hello All

A friend of mine currently studies with Kaplan and recommended their study materials to me. I purchased and worked through one for one of my most recent exams and found the extra practice invaluable. If there are any current or past students with Kaplan or anyone who knows about Kaplan - please read on.... Do you know how often the study texts are updated and when the next update due date is? The material I have for level 3 has 2010-11 printed on the front cover. I was wondering if they are due to be updated soon so if I were to look at purchasing any additional study materials for level 4 should I wait for now? Can anyone make any recommendations?

Also, are there any students who use the Osborne text and workbooks? I remember using Osborne many years ago when I did Foundation level but don't think it comes with solutions - and I believe only tutors can obtain these? Is there anyway a student can obtain the solutions - although I understand you have to register as a tutor with Osborne (I could be wrong).

Bearing the above in mind, does the fact that you are given solutions with Kaplan give them an edge over Osborne? Any thoughts/recommendations greatly received.

Many thanks in advance.

JC
~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Hi Jo,
    I am using Osborne, and attending classes, however I can't manage the two evening classes each week, and tend to work at home with Osborne, and find them very good (only problem is that there are a few errors/typos as they got the new syllabus books out quickly!) For each subject there is a tutorial book, (each chapter includes the tutorial with case studies, summary, key terms, and questions with the answers at the back - sometimes if I am struggling with a concept, I work back from the answers) and also a workbook with more questions & answers, and two practice assessments with answers, although generally one is the one on this website. For spreadsheets there is just a tutorial book. I am now revising for Costing exam at the end of April, and working through the tutorial book again. Go to the Osborne website, and look at the books, they also have some practice questions and answers there too. Could you borrow the books from a library to see what they are like? if you are studying via a college they may have them there?
    I am now thinking about doing distance learning for level 4, and wondering if I can manage it with the Osborne books, and back up from colleagues at work.
    Hope that helps?
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    Thanks for the reply :)

Good luck with your cost and revenues exam.

Do you know who you will do your distance learning with, or do you mean teach yourself and just book to do the exams?

I will contact local library and see if they will obtain the text books - will save me some money!

Don't forget you can get help here as well as from your colleagues.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and thanks once again.
    Benjamin Franklin
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Thanks. I may be being optimistic, but if I can get on with the studying, and can just register and sit the exams at the college, when I am ready, then it may work out. (and be a lower cost option) One of my work colleagues is doing level 4 this year, so is providing lots of feedback. The nearest BPP centre is about 30 miles, and Kaplan about 45, so they are not very easy whilst working full time! How are you doing level 4?
    Its been a lovely day outside - I didn't mind studying so much when the weather was rubbish, but its misearble learning formulas etc when its so enticing to go out, and we lose an hour tonight!
    Happy weekend,
    GP
  • Jo Clark
    Options
    Hi GP

When I start level 4 I shall be doing day release to college. I have made a lot of friends in my level 3 class and there is a small group of us who meet up of an evening and at weekends to study together and when it is exam time even more so... and not forgetting I always come here if I have a query as I am sure to get an answer :)

Enjoy your evening and chat soon.

JC
    Benjamin Franklin
Privacy Policy