Advice needed

Options
Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
I have just been told that due to "concerns" about my abilities my agency contract will be terminated forthwith. I am absolutely in shock about this because there were no signs that this was going to happen today and I still have 3 months left on the contract. Does anyone know if I can take action against the agency and the place i was working.

The agency have said they will honour the hours I have worked. Too right they will! But they have removed me from there books as well! No calls, no chats about it just goodbye!

Surely they can't do this. Aarrgghh agencies are unbelievably rubbish:(
Β«1

Comments

• katie2008
    katie2008 Registered Posts: 294 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Glynis wrote: Β»

Aarrgghh agencies are unbelievably rubbish:(

BlobbyH over to you on this one....

Glynis

The company did say they would be reviewing your work, and maybe they decided you were not right for the company.

Sad but true, and companies do have the right to do this.. At the end of the day, it isnt any reflection on the agency, as they got you the placement in the first place correct?

Its only one person who can be good or bad at their job.. and that person is you!
  • katie2008
    Options
    As for advice, just go to the next agency, and maintain professionalism at all times :)

or Just go to the job-centre and listen to what they say.

And if they try to offer support or guidance, listen.. You ask for advice, let people tell you..

In all seriousness, good luck.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    The client cancelled your contract Glynis, not the agency. This was undoubtedly based on the "unbelievably rubbish" error you made a couple of weeks ago that brought them into disrepute with the factoring company. Of course, the client has the right to do this - that's the nature of temping.

The error you made was quite serious and I'd have to say, a pretty junior one for someone AAT qualified, studying ACCA and with years of experience behind them. Nor should you hide behind the lack of training excuse as it simply won't wash this time, since I'm sure you sold yourself off as highly experienced and able in the first place. You were the architect of your own downfall and recruitment agencies are not globally conspiring against you.

Based on this and feedback from the client - which remains a private matter between them and the agency - this has led to your removal from the agency's books. And again, yes the agency can do this. They are a private enterprise, not the local job centre. They have a reputation to uphold and you will have undoubtedly damaged their own relationship with the client, which they will now be seeking to repair.

It's harsh but that's life. You wanted an answer and now you have one.
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    There is nothing that can be said here that hasn't been said a million times before!!!

How about you re-read the old threads for the advice you continually ignore and digest it this time.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Glynis,

I think someone commented that you, as a temporary employee, represent the agency you work for, and it is the agency that pay you your wages, therefore the agency will expect a high level of work to be performed in order to secure ongoing contracts. If the agency's client have concerns then it's not only going to be uncomfortable for you working there, but also puts the agency in a bad light also.

I think that rather than go in with all guns blazing (as it seems from the tone of your thread), you should have a chat with the agency you have been working for - calmly - and discuss the situation. This will help you in your next position.

Good luck.

Regards
    Steve
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options

I think that rather than go in with all guns blazing (as it seems from the tone of your thread), you should have a chat with the agency you have been working for - calmly - and discuss the situation. This will help you in your next position.

Good luck.

Regards
    Steve

This is what I was going to say. You can't always go on the offensive, because eventually you have to come to terms with it's not every one else that's at fault

You need to listen to the feedback and learn from it and hopefully not make those mistakes with the next firm.

Nobody is perfect, so accept it is ok to make mistakes.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I used to temp a lot and once got sent on a job that I just wasn't able to do. It was a massive consolidation which I had never done for real before and all the branches were only sending me estimated figures. I was brave enough to tell the agency that I couldn't do it and they released me from the contract. They also kept me on their books and found other work for me. They'd rather you tell them what you can and can't do than you go into a job that you're not capable of doing and **** it all up. A sign of intelligence is knowing what you don't know.

The funniest thing on this particular contract was one of the other temps being sacked because he was drinking on the job!!! He was stuck in an out of the way office with another temp and apparantly swigging not very secretively from a bottle in his briefcase.

You do have to question why a large chemical company would need to bring in temps to do their consolidation, do they not employ their own accountant who can do it?
  • Glynis
    Options
    Thankyou for the comments everyone. The job itself was incredibly hard to grasp and nobody showed me properly what to do. I can't understand why I am the one to lose out when the circumstances were such that I wasn't really to blame. If you are not taught properly how can they sack you just like that.

The woman at the agency said the client had "expressed several concerns" about my ability but never once spoke to me about these "concerns" .

Steve I am not going in all guns blazing as you so eloquently put it. I am too upset to be bothered with that. All this on top of studying is taking it's toll on me:(
  • Steve Collings
    Options

Steve I am not going in all guns blazing as you so eloquently put it. I am too upset to be bothered with that. All this on top of studying is taking it's toll on me:(

The sensible thing would therefore be to defer studying and make finding a job your number 1 priority.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    The woman at the agency said the client had "expressed several concerns" about my ability but never once spoke to me about these "concerns".

Because the client doesn't need to speak to you about their concerns, that's why they're paying the agency. They were probably more disappointed in the agency than you because it's the agency that put you there in the first place and they trust the agency to make sure that you can do the job. Like Blobby said the agency will be doing everything they can now to ensure they don't lose the client.

Glynis what was the assignment? I assume it was sales ledger? Did you tell the agency you were finding it difficult to grasp? And have you asked the agency (calmy) for feedback on how you could improve? Register with some other agencies but bear in mind they will go back to the old agency for a reference so don't slag them off. I think this is something you can learn from, if you're struggling with something don't keep quiet.

I agree with Steve, defer studying for 6-12 months and get settled in a job. You may even find an employer who will offer some funding so you can get on an approved training programme.
  • Glynis
    Options
    The sensible thing would therefore be to defer studying and make finding a job your number 1 priority.

Do you have any idea what this is like. What it is like to have no work, to be middle aged with no prospects. I don't supposed you do. It's hard and very hard. We can't all be as fortunate as you are but you won't know what it's like to have your confidence kicked, your livelihood thrown away and your dreams shattered. One day it might happen yo you , your marriage might end up in ruins as well.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Yes I'm sure Steve has never had any setbacks in life, he has just sailed from one thing to another without having anything in his way, I don't think he has even had to work for anything in his life - it has just fallen into his lap! Get real!!!

Have you ever heard the expression 'don't bite the hand that feeds'????
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    I hope that does not happen to me Glynis, but I wish you luck anyway.

Steve
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    And Annette's words speak volumes.

Regards
    Steve
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi Glynis

Maybe instead of having a go at people who are trying to help you, you need to take a look at your life, your not the only one on the planet who has problems, I agree with Steve if you are finding looking for a job and studying hard going and it is getting you down, one has to take back seat.

I've managed to pull myself back together after a few years of bad times, I am now studying and working full time (that is just as hard) but if you want it bad enough you find away.

Obviously from you last posts the client was not happy with your work, so get out there and prove you can bounce back from a mistake, even a simple one, we all make mistakes but learn from them and don't always blame others. If I make a mistake at work I own up, apology and ask to be shown the right way so as not to make the same mistake twice., were all only human.

Sorry for being so blunt, but ot needed saying.
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Do you have any idea what this is like. What it is like to have no work, to be middle aged with no prospects. I don't supposed you do. It's hard and very hard. We can't all be as fortunate as you are but you won't know what it's like to have your confidence kicked, your livelihood thrown away and your dreams shattered. One day it might happen yo you , your marriage might end up in ruins as well.

Glynis, I hope that you don't respond to constructive criticism in your professional life in the same way as you do on here.

If you start a thread on here asking for advice, then at least listen to what fellow contributors tell you. The truth sometimes hurts, but you have to accept it, and act with dignity and professionalism.
  • Glynis
    Options
    I sincerely apologize for my outburst. I am finding my situation very distressing. I hope you all understand. I appreciate your advices.
  • katie2008
    Options
    I do not understand your outburst.

1) you post a thread entitled advice needed asking for advice
    2) you then insult the very member of this community that has replied to your every thread, giving up his time, and his knowledge to help you.
    3) everytime you try this exam that is oh so stressing you out, you cant get through, and its either fellow member forums fault, the acca, or your tutors, never yours.
    4) you make a huge error at work, and its not your fault, its your employers
    5) your employers then dismiss you, and then its the agencys fault?

I could go on, but then I have to go to work now.. I am 23, pregnant, in a lot of debt, and mourning the loss of people near to me.. but you dont see me having outbursts at people

I hope Steve never replies to one of your posts again. You do not deserve our help!

My advice now after your outburst - go off to the acca forums now.. You may have upset everyone here!

ps: things dont go swimmingly for Steve as you well know due to his ill relation (which i sincerly hope she is ok steve) so yes he probably knows how it feels for his life to be ripped apart!
  • PGM
    Options

Getting ACCA won't suddenly solve all the problems either. Theres enough people on here that have proved AAT is more than enough to get you where you want.

Steve's advice is sound. Concentrate on the job situation!
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Glynis

It appears, from your threads, that you think the world is out to get you.

I think your priority should be to get a job where you are able to comfortably complete any task given to you. Glynis you are your own worst enemy, you need to concentrate on yourself. Stop blaming others, admitting you are wrong is not a sign of weakness. If you are able to hold your hands up and say "I messed up how can I help rectify so I don't make the same error", I think you may be surprised at what credit you are given.

Maybe you need to look at more suitable roles, defer your training, (I done this with AAT for over a year as I just had too many things happening and something had to give, it was the best decision I have made , I was able to get a job make some good friends and spend quality time with my other half), spend some QUALITY time with your family and friends. A year is not that long in the grand scheme of things. Many things can happen and you may find that you get into a postion where you don't need to rip your hair out at all opportunities and you can relax.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Glynis

It appears, from your threads, that you think the world is out to get you.

I think your priority should be to get a job where you are able to comfortably complete any task given to you. Glynis you are your own worst enemy, you need to concentrate on yourself. Stop blaming others, admitting you are wrong is not a sign of weakness. If you are able to hold your hands up and say "I messed up how can I help rectify so I don't make the same error", I think you may be surprised at what credit you are given.

Maybe you need to look at more suitable roles, defer your training, (I done this with AAT for over a year as I just had too many things happening and something had to give, it was the best decision I have made , I was able to get a job make some good friends and spend quality time with my other half), spend some QUALITY time with your family and friends. A year is not that long in the grand scheme of things. Many things can happen and you may find that you get into a postion where you don't need to rip your hair out at all opportunities and you can relax.

+1 to all of that.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I think you misunderstand me at times Glynis. I have a great deal of sympathy for your situation but you certainly don't help yourself when faced with a tricky situation. If anything, you often exacerbate things and end up fighting yourself out of corners you never should have been in in the first place.

I seriously think you should give up on ACCA and working in practice. It might be against the Equality Act 2010, but I'm not your employer and you must surely realise that age is not on your side in either of these two things? You should instead be focusing on what makes you happy rather than what makes you stressed: remove these stress blocks and you may find yourself becoming more positive.

You have years of experience that will often put you ahead of someone recently certified yet with little practical knowledge. In this age of recession, there are many employers who would rather take a chance on sound experience than unproven qualification.

Accept what you do have rather than what you don't and things may improve all round.
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    I think you misunderstand me at times Glynis. I have a great deal of sympathy for your situation but you certainly don't help yourself when faced with a tricky situation. If anything, you often exacerbate things and end up fighting yourself out of corners you never should have been in in the first place.

I seriously think you should give up on ACCA and working in practice. It might be against the Equality Act 2010, but I'm not your employer and you must surely realise that age is not on your side in either of these two things? You should instead be focusing on what makes you happy rather than what makes you stressed: remove these stress blocks and you may find yourself becoming more positive.

You have years of experience that will often put you ahead of someone recently certified yet with little practical knowledge. In this age of recession, there are many employers who would rather take a chance on sound experience than unproven qualification.

Accept what you do have rather than what you don't and things may improve all round.

Like this!
  • Greycow
    Greycow Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I totally agree with Blobby's comment, if something is causing this much stress then the end result is not worth what you lose in getting there. Dont ruin your life with stressing over studying further.

As I quote a lot at work "a positive attitude brings about a positive result, a negative attitude ruins everything"

All the best for whatever you decide
  • Susan Dennis
    Susan Dennis Registered Posts: 14 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    I have passed many exams in accountancy, and still not got a job in the proffession, I have a mundane job in a supermarket, but in this recession I know I am gratefull to have a job and some money coming in, I will not give up my dream in working in accountancy, I have always took my time in learning my qualifications, and when subjects were hard, just took time away to give myself a break. At the end of the day if I do not get a job in this field I have throughly enjoyed learning and will carry on learning gaining more qualifications and I am in my mid fifties. Live for today and let tomorrow take care of itself. Kind Regards
  • Steve Collings
    Options
    ps: things dont go swimmingly for Steve as you well know due to his ill relation (which i sincerly hope she is ok steve) so yes he probably knows how it feels for his life to be ripped apart!

Katie, that is really nice of you to ask. Thanks for that!

Gabriella is doing well, but she is still very susceptible to viruses/colds which invariably end up in hospital visits due to the severity of her condition just to be on the safe side but she is doing very well!

Once again, thanks for asking.

Best wishes
    Steve
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    It might be against the Equality Act 2010, but I'm not your employer and you must surely realise that age is not on your side in either of these two things?

There was actually a good programme tonight on BBC1 about this, "Growing army of over-50s join the battle to find work "

http://news.bbc.co.uk/panorama/hi/front_page/newsid_9443000/9443259.stm
  • Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Londina wrote: Β»
    There was actually a good programme tonight on BBC1 about this, "Growing army of over-50s join the battle to find work "

I was going to say that! :0)
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Unbelievable.
  • PGM
    Options
    Londina wrote: Β»

Did anyone watch this? I would have but hit my limit for panarama/dispatches type programs.
Privacy Policy