Please can I have some advice?

Options
twinks01
twinks01 Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
Hi, I am studying AAT at the minute and have seen that some other people have posted on here about doing/done ATT. I have been thinking about maybe doing ATT - just wanted some advice about it from more knowledgable people first though please? I've got a few questions:
How does ATT compare with the tax papers for ACCA? What I mean is, are they the same sort of level so that being Certified would kind of cancel the ATT qualification out (does this make sense?)
Is it seen as a good qualification to have, particularly in the eyes of my employer (I work in practice) ie is it reasonably well regarded or something?
With the personal tax paper, does it cover more stuff than the AAT personal tax? Also, how does the AAT one compare with knowledge needed for doing real life tax returns?

Can't think of anything else in particular but any general comments and opinions would be appreciated
Thank you!

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi

I am studying for my ATT personal tax in May. It's like the difference between a degree and GCSEs!! Much harder!! No disrespect to the AAT tax exams but they are a comprehensive basic grounding and the reason I went on to do ATT was I rapidly realised I did not know nearly enough from AAT alone to do tax in practice. So my feeling is extra knowledge whether through another qualification or through detailed CPD is essential.

ATT is very well respected; I believe it is more comprehensive than the tax papers at ACCA but I don't know. If you ever want to work for yourself, be aware of the incredibly strict rules ACCA impose on their students i.e. no work past trial balance working for yourself untilyou get their practicing certificate - which is very hard to do. If you don't want to work for yourself but want to remain employed then take advice from your employer. I would guess ATT and ACCA would give your broadly similar earning potential but the field narrows down to just tax if ŷou took ATT over ACCA.
  • twinks01
    Options
    Thanks for your help. I think it will be a case of asking about it at work, see what they think. How long have you spent studying for it?

Good luck with the May exam, not long now!
  • Sailorgirl
    Sailorgirl Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Qualifications

Hi,

I am interested in ATT as well, but am currently at Level 2 AAT and IAB Level 3, completing both in June 2011. When can you start studying ATT? Would it be too much to start soon rather than waiting to complete Technician? Rather late in life, I have discovered that I have a head for accountancy, and don't want to delay.

I am very keen to get on and get started as self employed. Am already doing my partners books, sole trader, and volunteer at a local charity.

Any advice?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    @Twinks, thanks - err, don't ask about my study! :lol: registered as student memeber in 2008, took exam (which I later found out I was exempt from!) in Nov 08, taking exam number 2 in May. and I've not had time to do much study :-( Will knuckle down this month.

Sailorgirl, you can start (I think!) studying ATT whenever. The tax modules in technician are a good grounding and ATT without these, unless you have a lot of practical experience, might be a bit of a shock! You can download past papers from their website to see what they ask about to get an idea for it. And, good for you with your enthusiasm! If you want to work for yourself then study needs to be backed up with experience so I wouldn't rush things but just make sure you get a decent dose of both!
  • Sailorgirl
    Options
    Cheers, points taken Monsoon. Don't want to try too soon to run before I can walk!
  • twinks01
    Options
    Ooops at taking the exam with the exemption! I can imagine that for people with more responsibilities than the few I have, studying must get difficult to fit in.

Sailorgirl: the past papers are interesting to have a look through and ATT also have a prospectus pdf thing on their website which says what is in the syllabus for each of the papers etc
  • Sailorgirl
    Options
    Cheers Twinks, will have a look through.
  • GinnyBee
    GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I've just register to study ATT, you can register any time you don't have to complete AAT first (but I would not recommend trying to do both together!!!!) The main rule is you must be registered for six months before you can sit an exam, i.e. if you wanted to sit this Novembers exams you have to be registered by 30th April, otherwise wait till next June.
  • Sailorgirl
    Options
    From reading here and doing a bit more research, I won't be attempting to do both at the same time. Far too much, and not enough hours in the day. Thanks for all advice.
Privacy Policy