excel buffs please

Options
taskey
taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
i have 2 spreadsheets and i need to copy the formula from one to another.

it is a choose formula which when a certain cell is changed it picks up info from another tab in that book. the problem is that when i copy the formula from the original spreadhseet, it puts the original file name etc into the formula. i dont want to link it, i just want to copy - how do i do this?

thanks

Tracy

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Click on the cell which has the formula

Then press F2 or click on the formula bar at the top which displays cell contents

Highlight the formula text and copy it

You can then paste that exact text wherever you want it
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    b rill, thanks for the quick response - and it works )))

tracy
  • Jo Clark
    Jo Clark Registered Posts: 2,525 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hello Taskey

Another way of doing this is to select the cell where the formula is, copy (using Ctrl C or the toolbar copy icon) and then Paste Special Formula (Alt, E, S and F) although this is a little longer than PGMs method.

One thing to be aware of when copying formula is if you have used absolute/relative/mixed referencing within your worksheet.

Hope this helps in the future.

JC
    ~ An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest ~
    Benjamin Franklin
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Also,

If you have two spreadsheets;
    -Input sheet where you input your figures and where all your formulae are
    -Output sheet will show all the figures calculated from the input sheet and will update when you alter the input sheet.

You can also alter the layout of the output sheet, so it looks nice - good for sales boards, presentations etc.. so your input sheet is basically your rough workings and output is the good version.

So you copy and paste link (paste special then paste link in 2010)

Also you can remove Zero values by going to Tools > Options > Untick zero values
    2010 - File > Options > Advanced > scroll a little bit til you find where to untick

It will update, but you should save both spreadsheets after inputting new data.
    :)
Privacy Policy