Any computer experts on here?

Sparkly
Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
I was wondering if there's anyone on here who can help/advise me.

I received an email on my blackberry yesterday which looked dodgy so I deleted it, thinking that was the end of it. Last night I connected my Blackberry to my laptop because I wanted to download some pictures off it, after this I developed problems with my pc, and also found out that the dodgy email i had received contained a *****. Is it possible that it could have transferred from my Blackberry to my laptop, or is it just co-incidence?

I have free anti-***** software on my laptop which has protected me well for the last couple of years, it was working overdrive last night - every time I tried to load a webpage the anti-***** 'shouted' at me that there was a threat and aborted my request! I have no idea what to do next!

It's particularly inconvenient as I'm trying to work on my unit 10 project and I'm only allowed to transfer it to my pc at work via email, but i'm thinking I shouldn't be trying to send emails in to work if I possibly have a ***** on my pc! I also have quite a bit of ordering to do on the internet but since I can't load any web pages that is also a probelm! (moan over!)

Anyway, if there's anyone out there who has any knowledge/experience of such things i'd be really grateful for any advice!

Many thanks
Kelly

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Sounds like the fake anti ***** alert. does it request you buy something?

Try using another account on your pc, some of those are account specific.

Also up date your ***** software and do a full scan, spybot is another good peice of free software that'll clear out all spyware.

Also, delete all tempory files and internet files.

If you have another pc which works, googled the exact thing it comes up, should get some info that tells you exactly what to delete etc.

Good luck!
  • PGM
    Whats up with the word v i r u s ?
  • Woooof
    Woooof Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Any time you think you have a v irus the best thing to do is to disconnect from the internet as soon as possible and run your anti-v irus software. Many of the viruses can re-download themselves.
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Last time I had to take my computer back a few days to a safe date before the upload, luckily I didn't loose too much work.
  • Sparkly
    Thanks for the advice people, I will go home tonight armed with it and see how I get on! I know I need a new laptop (mine is over 10 years old!) , I'm just not really in a position to buy one just yet!
  • Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I had something similar a few months back, I managed to google the error message and it told me which files to delete. I had to open up in safe mode and remove the 2 files and after that all was fine.
  • PGM
    Rachel wrote: ยป
    I had something similar a few months back, I managed to google the error message and it told me which files to delete. I had to open up in safe mode and remove the 2 files and after that all was fine.

A lot of these latest ones that want you to purchase something are classed as spyware, which is why spybot is a good free piece of software to use.
  • Sparkly
    Thanks all for the advice. I managed to update my AV software last night, ran a scan and deleted all the temporary files, it's now looking a bit healthier! At least I can load web pages now. When I have some more time at the weekend I'll take a look at the spyware that PGM recommended.
  • PGM
    Thanks all for the advice. I managed to update my AV software last night, ran a scan and deleted all the temporary files, it's now looking a bit healthier! At least I can load web pages now. When I have some more time at the weekend I'll take a look at the spyware that PGM recommended.

Sounds promising! :D

Just make sure the v irus and spyware programs aren't doing daily scans, that'll really kill the remaining bit of performance in your 10 year old laptop.
Privacy Policy