Seeing new client later - they own a shop

Options
Sarah-Lou
Sarah-Lou Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Got a few clients but none own a shop, besides the obvious stock issues is there anything else I need to consider that I might not think of?

Thank you :o)

Sarah-Lou

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    My first thoughts - PAYE records, casual labour records, young workers registered with local authority, minimum wage. Then there is VAT records, sales vatable or mixed? How is this recorded? Is there a special VAT scheme in existence?
    However, go with an open mind and just listen to start with. Take away your thoughts and come back to them later.
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Shop accounts

Hi Sarah-Lou

Also to bear in mind whether any goods/stock are taken/used by the proprietor. One of my clients lives in the flat above his shop which is rented and an adjustment is made for the flat.

Good luck with your new client.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Also, I don't know if you are doing the bookkeeping, or the accounts, or both. If they are doing the books and you're doing the year end, do not underestimate how long it will take you to unravel!
    Newbie Registered Posts: 229 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    internal controls in place in terms of cash = risk.
  • Sarah-Lou
    Sarah-Lou Registered Posts: 141 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Well it's a relatively easy client however 90% of their trading is in cash *gulp*. They document every sale and every purchase (or so they say).

They don't employ anyone else in their business so that's one less thing to worry about, they haven't been trading for very long and suspect will have made a relatively large loss.

Am concerned about the amount of cash though. Any advice?
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Do they use a till? If so, not really a problem. You just have to rely on them putting everything through the till. I have a market stall customer and I just have to "trust" them to put all the takings onto a sheet at the end of the day. In the end, that is not your problem.
Privacy Policy