Membership

Options
Betty Boo
Betty Boo Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
Has anyone else had trouble actually joining the AAT? A friend of mine had a CCJ and so they said he couldn't be a member until that was sorted. He said he'd sort it, but they said he'd have to re apply but would fast track. Does that mean it's a yes at the end of the fast track? This has been going on for over 2 months now!

Comments

• annefreeman
    annefreeman Registered Posts: 21 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi Betty
    I've had a CCJ and also voluntary bankruptcy myself (discharged in 2003). I had to supply masses of explanations to AAT as to why the CCJ occurred, why I (upon professional advice) had to declare myself voluntary bankrupt. I did have to go through a lot of family history in order to show the reasons as to why and how and when this had all happened. It was very intrusive...............especially when they then asked me to provide it all and explain it all again!! However, at the end of the day, AAT need to be able to be satisfied that I was a 'fit and proper' person now and that I hadn't been deliberately irresponsible etc etc and that I had done everything thing I could to avoid having to go down this route. It took 8 weeks to get their decision, by which time I'd missed my first exam and was really worried about whether the AAT would accept me or not.

Thankfully AAT have accepted the paperwork I supplied to them etc and accepted me as a student member, but when I eventually pass my Technician level and go onto ATT (I love tax!!), and go for full membership etc, I have to do it all over again and there's no guarantee they'll accept me again. I'm hoping the fact that I'm a homeowner now and successfully full time self employed will offer some comfort to AAT.

What your friend might be able to do is to get his training centre (if he is attending one) to also contact the AAT and see if they can help etc. Not sure if they like character references or not?

Sorry not much help, but the time it takes is a long time, but for perfectly understandable reasons though.
Privacy Policy