Calling all VT users

Options
Anne Boleyn
Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Hello Everyone

I see so many recommendations for VT final accounts etc that I thought I should change over from Sage, which I have used my whole accounts life. I'm not particularly a Sage fan but I haven't had any problems with them either. I'm sitting here with the VT order form filled in but unsubmitted and I can't seem to make up my mind. The cost for VT is greater than if I renewed with Sage, can anyone tell me whether the cost is less in subsequent years with VT?

I did download the trial for VT but didn't have much time to play around with it and it has now disappeared.

Other than just saying "do it", can anyone offer good reasons to help me press the submit button.

Comments

• Emrhino
    Emrhino Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    Hello!

I use Sage Line 50 for book keeping but have never used the Final Accounts package.

I use VT Final Accounts and think it's great - very simple and quick to use (although the printing is sometimes a bit faffy as you have to adjust the page numbers).

However, if you haven't had any problems with Sage and it's cheaper than switching I don't think I'd bother.

Are you only considering it because other people say VT Accounts is good?

x
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I'm very surprised that Sage is cheaper then VT. Can I ask which products you are comparing?
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    jilt wrote: ยป
    I'm very surprised that Sage is cheaper then VT. Can I ask which products you are comparing?

+1 to that!

VT is multi company, you buy it once and you can use it for unlimited clients, unlike Sage.
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Vt

Hi

True I wasn't comparing like with like. VT has XBRL but not the Sage product I'm using so I imagine if I updated Sage this year to include XBRL it would cost a lot more.

Other than cost have any of you moved from Sage to VT and consider it better, more user friendly etc.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I've never used Sage Accounts Production and nor have I used VT's bookkeeping software. VT Accounts is just so simple and user friendly though.

I just don't use Sage in general on principle - its clunky and overpriced.

I can't believe that Sage Accounts Production is cheaper than a VT licence, but I've never looked into it so can't comment.
  • jilt
    Options
    I used to use Sage for bookeeping and now use VT and prefer it, other than that I've only used Sage payroll, and now use Moneysoft, so I'm afraid I can't comment on whether other Sage software is better or worse.

Not much help really am I? lol
  • David@accountingsource
    David@accountingsource Registered Posts: 12 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I have not used either Sage or VT,
    but I am also looking into purchasing such however the cost is very steap as I only run a small part-time practice.

Whilst looking into programs i found this,

http://quickbooks.intuit.co.uk/accountants/professional-advisors.jsp

Has anyone used this scheme or program.?
  • jilt
    Options

Whilst looking into programs i found this,

http://quickbooks.intuit.co.uk/accountants/professional-advisors.jsp

Has anyone used this scheme or program.?

I used to use Quickbooks for a charity's book keeping and payroll, never did like it, you could go back and change transactiuons and leave no audit trail.

Afraid that's my only experience of Quickbboks though.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    I don't like the new versions of QB. Ok, I will rephrase that - I have heard enough negatives from other accountants about the new versions that i won't touch it. I use QB 2005 for my own company's books and love it, but I get the impression subsequent 'improvements' broke it slightly.

From what i recall, i can't see QB being a cheaper option than VT.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    I find Quickbooks ok to use myself but when clients use it I have to sort out a myriad of 'uncategorised VAT amount' problems every single quarter. Every VAT return takes me twice as long as it does in Sage.
  • Monsoon
    Options
    The way it handles VAT now is the biggest concern i have, from what i have heard from others!
  • GinnyBee
    GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    I stay as far away as possible from Quickbooks - had some rather unfortunate experiences with it, mainly trying to sort the almighty mess clients manage to get into with it! Most of them would have been better with an exercise book!! Hum, I sound a little biased don't I :)
Privacy Policy