The Use Of Social Media - your thoughts please?

Options
CHES&STAFF01
CHES&STAFF01 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Dear All - your thoughts please !

We were at a committee member training day on Saturday and the subjects covered were ' Social Media' and ' Dealing with difficult people' - two interesting subjects just on their own.

Social Media is the area we would like feedback on and suggestions.

The main media covered: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Bloggs, AAT forum.

The question is how can a branch use these medias to their full potential?

The person writing this uses the AAT forum and does have accounts set up with facebook, twitter and linkedIn, has thought about blogging but not got around to it (!)

What do you think of social media? Is it time consuming just because we haven't set it up correctly? Which is the easiest media to use? What are the downfalls? What are the upsides?

Would also like to know if there is anyone who would be willing to discuss the set up of a facebook account and twitter - training is definitely needed!!

Thank you !

Comments

• Karen L
    Karen L Registered Posts: 70 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    LinkedIn/ Facebook - guidance needed???

Does anyone have some good ideas with regards to getting the best use out of facebook and linkedIn?
    I think I might have to read the help pages!!!
  • shadeofblue
    shadeofblue Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I have a Facebook busines page
    http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/RS-Accountancy/133766786673029

Tried linkedin once but didnt find it as useful as not many of my contacts used it.
    Linkedin seems more of a old fashioned business directory. But if it works for someone else then they should carry on using it.

I've not used twitter yet...
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Linkedin seems more of a old fashioned business directory. But if it works for someone else then they should carry on using it.

In our line of work - executive recruitment - LinkedIn is one of the most powerful business tools in the entire world. I understand it's a formidable tool for headhunters!

We're currently undergoing heavy investment in corporate social networking including Twitter and Facebook. Costing us a small fortune so it had better be worth it, but we're assured it's the way the world of business advertising and promotion is now heading!
  • Kia
    Kia Registered Posts: 13 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Personally I think people give away far too much information on the likes of facebook and twitter. Not everyone is the friend you think they are and could use the info for their own personal gain. How many times have you seen people brag about where they are on holiday?? The untoward could use that information eg Their property is empty etc.

I use both but only have a handful of friends on facebook. I have had to ask people to remove information about myself, eg Name, address, family members etc, Far too much information that could have been used for identity theft.
  • shadeofblue
    shadeofblue Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: »
    In our line of work - executive recruitment - LinkedIn is one of the most powerful business tools in the entire world. I understand it's a formidable tool for headhunters!

We're currently undergoing heavy investment in corporate social networking including Twitter and Facebook. Costing us a small fortune so it had better be worth it, but we're assured it's the way the world of business advertising and promotion is now heading!

As I said if Linkedin works for others then they should continue using it, I didnt say they should not use it I have alot of international contacts that use it. But for now its not for me...
  • CHES&STAFF01
    CHES&STAFF01 Registered Posts: 107 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    As a branch we are now trialling the use of facebook, twitter and linkedIn (preferred).
    This is not saying we are social media experts - far from it and I think it could be to do with age as well !! (personally my 10 year old nephew could do better !!!)
    However, if you feel you have time to look us up then please do.
    Twitter is KMAAT72.
    Feedback please ...
  • payrollpro
    payrollpro Registered Posts: 427 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I have a full linkedin profile and use it a lot, both to keep in touch and to seek out potential clients.

I don't and never will use the others. To me LinkedIn is not social media, it's a professional network which allows you to connect with like minded professionals. Ok the use of it by recruitment agencies and headhunters can be irritating but hey, they paid for it in the first place so I'm prepared to be generous.

To me the others are social media and should stay that way. Using them for such a joint purpose gives, I think, the wrong impression. I know AAT has a strong presence on such sites because they see this as the way to communicate with young professionals but just because that's where young people go to connect does not make it right for professional purposes.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I'd prefer facebook was kept for personal stuff and LinkedIn for professional contacts and try to mix the two.

Payrollpro
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I'm on Facebook but not for business, though I do have some business contacts on there. I'm on twitter as a business but don't really use it. I don't see the point in twitter for social, thats what i have facebook for!

I can't get into LinkedIn.....and i don't have the time to investigate it more, it's on my list of things to do but there are plenty of other things more important!
Privacy Policy