Degree or ACCA

Shab
Shab Registered Posts: 54 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi everyone*

I am a bit confused of what should I do? I am an AAT qualified and wanna study further but should I do degree or straight go to ACCA, the reason I m confused is that if I complete my degree from London South Bank University then I will be exempt from the first 9 papers and only have to do the last 5. And also if I miss Uni this time then I have to pay the new tuition fee which will be more than £8000. I will really appreciate if anyone can guide me.*
Many Thanks*
Shab*

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Most employers will look for a professional qualification such as ACCA, ICAEW or CIMA. The degree will mean that if you got employment you would still be expected to study ACCA, ICAEW or CIMA. Depending on the options taken you will get exemption from the first 3 papers of ACCA and 2 I think of ICAEW.

Do you currently have a job and would they be prepared to support your studies of ACCA or one of the others?

The degree will cost you and you will have no income and you would have no practical experience. Personally I would concentrate on getting a job which has study support for ACCA or similar if you want to be an Accountant.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Rachel
    Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If you do ACCA they offer a degree partnership with Oxford Brookes and when I did it there was a dissertation and ethics module for the degree after completing the second stage of ACCA papers. Mine was a while ago but worth checking.
  • babsa
    babsa Registered Posts: 118 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    If you have any clients you can't do ACCA. You'll get kicked off the course.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    babsa wrote: »
    If you have any clients you can't do ACCA. You'll get kicked off the course.

Not strictly true. A student member of ACCA can only work for themselves up to trial balance, i.e. they can only do bookkeeping, VAT returns and payroll. No basic tax returns or any accountancy.

Regarding the OP, I would go straight into a professional qualification without the degree. Degree sounds like a more expensive way of getting to the end result and to my mind, having the professional letters is more important. Depends what employer you are aiming for though, I know the big 10 have graduate placements so it might be more important to them.

If your goal is to become self employed, as opposed to being an employee, then I would be inclined to consider AAT + ATT as opposed to ACCA as they make it incredibly difficult to get a practicing certificate - it's worth looking into what they require!
Privacy Policy