Level 4 project

Options
guinea pig
guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi,
I am nearing the end of level 3, and looking forward, I understand that level 4 includes a project, that can be done at any time. As I work full time, and find studying challenging, I am wondering if I can start the project soon, and work on it through the summer, so that when I go back to college in September, it will have been finished.
Please can anyone give me any feedback on working for their project? and if this is likely to be an option? Has anyone else done the project first?
Last summer I lost so much momentum and knowledge between finishing level 2 in May, and starting level 3 in September!
Many thanks for any advice,
GP

Comments

• coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    guinea pig wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am nearing the end of level 3, and looking forward, I understand that level 4 includes a project, that can be done at any time. As I work full time, and find studying challenging, I am wondering if I can start the project soon, and work on it through the summer, so that when I go back to college in September, it will have been finished.
    Please can anyone give me any feedback on working for their project? and if this is likely to be an option? Has anyone else done the project first?
    Last summer I lost so much momentum and knowledge between finishing level 2 in May, and starting level 3 in September!
    Many thanks for any advice,
    GP

Under the new standards you probably won't be able to do that. You need to upload everything onto your Learnplus account and have your assessor assess it as you go along, you also only have 16 weeks to complete the report from start to finish. If you're going to college I'd assume that your college will have a specific time in mind for assessing ICAS so you'd need to go along with them on that. You could discuss it with your college but I imagine they won't want to be assessing reports during the summer holidays.
  • leonag
    leonag Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I'm just in the process of finishing mine now, on the new standards, and I started it as soon as I returned to college in September. Whilst you do have to submit it to your tutor on line, and you may only have 16 weeks from start to finish of that process, you can certainly start it on paper before that. You would need to sound out your tutor before you finish this year on your choice of topic, to see if they thought it was suitable. You don't get a lot of tutor input, and its all done off your own back, so whether you start your research and initial drafts in the summer or when you return won't make a lot of difference.

I found the Osborne Tutorial book on Internal Control and Accounting Systems very useful, and I also printed off the mapping document, found in the practice assessments section of the website, to check I was covering everything I needed. The mapping document is also in the Osborne book, and each section within it has a page reference where the information to help you cover that section can be found in the book.

Leona
  • guinea pig
    guinea pig Registered Posts: 402 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Coojee & Leonag,
    Many thanks for your replies, I'm going to check with my tutor, and look at the mapping document.
    GP
  • linzip1703
    linzip1703 Registered Posts: 35 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi
    We were given the info on the project in Sept 10 when we started the year and mine doesnt have to be completed till Jul 11.
    It all depends when your tutor sets up the project for you.
    If your doing work based you have as long as you want - as thats what im doing.
    If your doing simulation then yes you only have 4 months to complete once downloaded.
    I used the Osborne book and have found it extremely useful, but then our tutor also went through all the criteria points and gave us ideas as to how to answer them.
    If your going to work based you could think of any possible weaknesses within your department and then what recommendations could be given to fix the weaknesses.
    This would set you off to start with .

Also to note that you are only allowed 3 uploads - if its not correct its start again time.

Good luck
Privacy Policy