email from AAT

Options
taskey
taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
morning all

i got an email yesterday verifying my work experience and it said if i become a member before i complete level 4, i dont have to pay the £45 fee.

is there any benefit me becoming a member just yet, i am not setting up on my own yet as i live in germany and i am looking to go onto cima next.

i have just submitted my final simulation for level 4, so i will be complete soon

what should i do??

any ideas

Tracy

Comments

• wildgoose1uk
    wildgoose1uk Registered Posts: 200 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I guess you would save £45....... Given that you will be becoming a member soon in any case I don't really see any other advantage...... not sure i owuld need one though :)
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I did it. It's not about setting up your own practice, but at getting those letters behind your name. I know it sounds silly, but it's either getting your courses done and sticking student member for the time being, or you can just go for being a full member and once you sign up with CIMA you get a reduced rate again anyways.
    I'm not sure what would happen if you would let your membership expire and want to join again later.

But if you, for whatever reason, don't finish CIMA, being a MAAT gives you the opportunity to work for yourself with some backing, rather than nothing.

I'm now on to CIMA, but it's nice that I can put MAAT behind my name on my CV for example, to show that I did more than just pass a few exams. (Not that I got a new job yet, but my work offered some prospects for finishing the AAT and putting me through CIMA and I made the choice to stick with them a bit longer to see where it would lead.)
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Do go for full membership. That is what this qualification is about - not getting an NVQ or a Diploma, but getting MAAT after your name!

As Rinske says, you get a really nice reduced subs fee when you're a student member of a further accounting/tax qualification (ah, there's the silver lining regarding the fact that I've been a student memeber of ATT for far too long!!).

Just do it, you've worked hard and earned those letters!
  • taskey
    Options
    ok, i have had a think about and yes i do want the letters after my name :)

going to send it off before i am deemed competent in level 4

Tracy
  • taskey
    Options
    just done it :)

will wait and hear as it says they will contact me once i have completed level 4

Tracy
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    How long does it take to get work verified.should i be starting that now?
  • taskey
    Options
    it took about 2 weeks, not too long :) every time i did something new i added it, all my voluntary work too

Tracy
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Membership's not just about putting letters after your name. We get access to some very useful information and very relevant CPD - a lot of it free and relevant to further study.

When I studied ACCA, some of the articles in the AAT magazine were more help than the ACCA texts (it was before everything was online). I gave up AAT membership once I qualified as ACCA, thinking ACCA was all I needed, but came back to AAT. In terms of the work I do (accountancy for small business, not auditing) I've found my AAT membership far more useful than ACCA.

Good luck with your CIMA studies.
  • Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    it won't accept my start date. guess i'll hav to email aat
  • taskey
    Options
    Dcollins wrote: »
    Membership's not just about putting letters after your name. We get access to some very useful information and very relevant CPD - a lot of it free and relevant to further study.

When I studied ACCA, some of the articles in the AAT magazine were more help than the ACCA texts (it was before everything was online). I gave up AAT membership once I qualified as ACCA, thinking ACCA was all I needed, but came back to AAT. In terms of the work I do (accountancy for small business, not auditing) I've found my AAT membership far more useful than ACCA.

Good luck with your CIMA studies.

Thanks, I do understand that it is not all about the letters after my name which is why i was questioning whether to go ahead or not. i live in germany and wont be using my licence for a while as i am going on to CIMA, i would love to go it alone but as yet i dont feel confident enough to do taxes as i have not studied that element. i am looking forward to starting CIMA though

Tracy
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    I also have this option
    The email from the AAT states that
    "While you are waiting for your results, why not make a start on the simple three step online application, so that you are that bit closer to achieving MAAT status* as soon as you receive confirmation that you have completed level 4.

Complete the three steps to becoming a full member before you finish level 4, and we'll even waive the £45 admission fee! If you have already started your application, log into your MyAAT now to check the status and complete the remaining steps"

Does anyone know what the 3 steps are?

I have logged into MYAAT and I have only 2 steps
    Nominate your professional referee
    Submit your work experience
    both of which I have completed

many thanks
  • taskey
    Options
    Step 1 - Submit your work experience.
    Your work experience details - including start/end dates, weekly hours and brief details of your day to day accounting or financial duties.

Step 2 - Nominate your professional referee.**
    Your line manager's details including their email address (or a qualified accountant's details if you are self-employed)

Step 3 - Online application.**
    Your personal and employment details
    Your declarations regarding relevant information
    Your agreement to comply with our full membership regulations

just copied and pasted this from mine, i have now done all 3 steps and am waiting for me just to pass mu audit sim :)

Tracy
  • Rinske
    Options
    Pirate, has your professional ref received the email confirmation?

I think both steps need to be listed as completed by the AAT on the site, before you can go for step 3. (Might be wrong though)
  • pirate
    Options
    Hey guys,

yes this is what it says

Application for AAT membership

You need to have achieved level 4 of the AAT Accounting Qualification in order to apply for AAT full membership. However, you can still nominate your professional referee* and submit your work experience now in preparation for when you do have the qualification.

Nominate your professional referee
    Submit your work experience

both have a green tick next to them and thats all I have

Do you think its different if on Diploma Pathway
  • Rinske
    Options
    I don't know about the Diploma pathway, but if they email it to you and then not give you the option seems weird.

You might just have to wait a little bit for the last option to show. It might need some more updates on your SoA. Or the AAT has updated the site.

It might also be a block issue, have a check if there is an blocking program, such as addblock or similar running or try it in internet explorer.
    I had some issues using internet explorer or firefox. Where i usually use firefox, all of a sudden some bits on the AAT site don't work properly anymore, and I got to swap to IE to get it to work, where other bits don't work in IE and do work in firefox.

It might be worth giving the AAT a ring, as there were some issues last year July, although that was only for a few people and I thought it was solved now, as I haven't heard more people with the same issue.

So sorry, it's an answer that can go anywhere, but I don't know what will be the right one!
  • pirate
    Options
    Rinske
    thanks for that, have checked via explorer as I do use firefox, I will remember that in future.
    anyway its still the same, only 2 bits, so I will call the AAT and see what I am missing and let you know

thanks for your help

K
Privacy Policy