Oxford Brook Degree

Options
Shab
Shab Registered Posts: 54 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi Guys
I hope that all of you are expecting a nice weekend. I just want to know that once you obtain the BSc degree from the Oxford Brook University on the completion of first 9 papers of ACCA. Does that degree is accepted by any other elite university if u want to go for master or MBA, and how do they mark. Is the marking based on RAP or the exam that you are takings? Please let me know if anyone have gone through the same process or have the knowledge regarding this matter.
Many thanks
Shab

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Its not an automatic award, I've finished ACCA and they've just emailed me details of how to get the degree, thinks its one large assignment, but I've not read much into it, because I don't plan on getting it :)
  • Shab
    Options
    thanks for your reply, well when u complete the RAP then u will get the degree i know that but, are the accept this degree and how are they marking. Well done to upon the completion on your ACCA, i just wonder wether if u can help me. I am an AAT qualified and was supposed to do degree but I have interrupted my studies due to this new job. So I am confused now what to do some says stick with job and study for acca and some say degree is more valuable, and also I will be granted 9 papers exemption from the ACCA after finishing degree. So what should I do and i am sure the ACCA will take longer time if am working and studying part time.
  • PGM
    Options
    I find that ACCA is valued more than a degree. Which is why I've no interest in completing the degree.

Although ATT is valued if you want to head in a tax direction.

Although I can't advise and timescales and costs.
  • Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I don't know much about it but if you want to stay in accountancy then in my opinion i would complete ACCA first and then worry about the degree later. You might even be able to find a well paid Job after ACCA and not worry about the degree. However if you had the degree and wanted a well paid job in accountancy you would be expected to move on to a professional qualification such as ACCA.

It may also be worth finding out the cost of each route. I.e Will you save more from the Degree exemptions by completing ACCA first or will you save my from the ACCA exemptions by completing the degree first?

Nick
  • PGM
    Options
    Nikdoug wrote: »
    It may also be worth finding out the cost of each route.

And time, once you have a family and such, it gets harder to find study time.
  • Shab
    Options
    so u guys think that ACCA route is the better option. but u know how long it will take me to finish
  • PeteLC
    PeteLC Registered Posts: 56 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    ACCA will take as long as you want it to take really!

I have based it on a 2 1/2 year project to complete (2 exams every 6 months and 1 three).

You are able to sit 4 exams in 1 sitting but this will be very stressful but could complete it in 1 1/2 years if you do it that way.
  • Shab
    Options
    well i dont have to do the first 3 papers because that will be exempted as i am an aat qualified. and cant study full time because of the employment so has to the weekend course so what do u think then, and what about is degree better or acca and also if can guide me through the Oxford Brook Degree as asked is it accepted by the top 10 uni to do master
  • Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    PGM wrote: »
    And time, once you have a family and such, it gets harder to find study time.

Not for a while yet! lol. But yes PGM is right. I think it's hard to advise the exact route you should take as at the end of the day it is down to your personal circumstances.

http://www.business.brookes.ac.uk/undergraduate/2011/acca/files/evaluation.pdf

"1. Evidence of acceptance of ACCA papers from other Universities
    It is clear that many if not most Universities recognise the ACCA professional
    qualification as a postgraduate qualification whether used for entry to a
    masters in Accounting or an MBA. Many examples were found Bournemouth
    University, Bristol Business School , De Montfort University, Guildhall
    University, South Bank University, Oxford Brookes University, University of
    West of England, Heriot Watt University and Henley Business School"

You may have already looked at this page - http://www.business.brookes.ac.uk/undergraduate/2011/acca/?err404=study/ug/acca

You can also email them on acca@brookes.ac.uk. I'm sure they can tell you if previous students have gone on to complete a masters at the top ten uni's or not.

The costing for ACCA can also vary greatly depending on whether you use a local college for evening classes, self study, a combination of both etc

Best of luck

Nick
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Shab wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    ...and how do they mark. Is the marking based on RAP or the exam that you are takings? Please let me know if anyone have gone through the same process or have the knowledge regarding this matter.
    Many thanks
    Shab

Hi Shab

The marking is based on the RAP and the exams - they average your exam marks for papers F4-F9 and combine that with your RAP grade (A, B or C) to give you a first, 2:1, 2:2 or third. If your average exam results are over 68 then you will get a first regardless of the RAP grade, if your results are lower, then you need a higher grade to get the first, and if your results are below a certain level then you can't get a first. There's a handy table somewhere on the ACCA site - probably on one of the links somebody has already posted - showing how it is all worked out.

I'm currently on my 4th ACCA module and am definitely going to do the degree - I've done the exams anyway so all I'll need to do is the RAP. I left school at 18 (everyone thought I was mad not going to uni) so I'd like to be able to show I can still get a degree the non traditional way. I agree with PGM that the full ACCA qualification is better than the degree, but that will be years off for me yet so I'd like to get the degree as soon as I can, after completing the Fundamentals papers.
  • Shab
    Options
    Hey Rozzi

thanks for the explanation and all the best and good for ur coming exam. i was at uni second year (2nd semester) but now left uni due to the work, which i am still confuse wether i should finish uni and part time ACCA and work. but anyway do u have any idea that this degree is accepted by the top 30 uni.
  • Rozzi Rainbow
    Rozzi Rainbow Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Thanks Shab.

Sorry, I have no idea whether the degree is accepted by any other universities, why don't you contact one of the universities who do the masters course you're looking at to see whether they accept the OBU degree?

Personally I think if you want to become ACCA qualified at the end of it anyway you should just start it now. It'll give you a feel for how the exams are structured and what prior learning is required, rather than you just jumping in at the professional level after completing your degree. And you can study ACCA while you have a job, and it will probably be cheaper - especially if your uni are going to be charging £9K a year!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Privacy Policy