P35s - Error 1046??

Options
JodieR
JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Just trying to file my last P35 and after every single other one has gone through without a hitch this one is throwing up an Error 1046. It says that my User ID or password is incorrect but I've tried it 5 times now and I know it's right, anyone know what i'm doing wrong? can't face trying to ring the helpline today. i'm using quickbooks 2010 accountant edition if that helps.

Comments

• JodieR
    Options
    sorted :) whew!
  • payrollpro
    payrollpro Registered Posts: 427 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Jodie,

I'm very pleased you sorted it but any chance you can enlighten me on what the problem was. You state it was the user ID and password but if they were both correct then presumably it was either a software problem with QB or with HMRC uptake.

I'd be interested to know for the AAT consultation panel.

Payrollpro
  • JodieR
    Options
    It was me having a blonde moment - I'd entered the accounts office ref instead of the employers reference number. Luckily someone on a quickbooks forum had had the same problem. It would have been useful though if the error had told me there was an issue with the employer's number rather than telling me my username/password was wrong!

Jodie
  • payrollpro
    payrollpro Registered Posts: 427 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Jodie,

Presumably HMRC's system checked the ID/password against the reference you used and found they did not match, hence the error message. I see your point, though I think I can understand where the error message came from.

What I would like to see is a help facility which lists possible causes of the error. This would have highlighted the fact that the information was being checked against the reference and that might have alerted you, more quickly, to the source of the error.

Never mind, sorted and before anyone says anything may I state, let the one amongst who has never done anything like this cast the first stone!
  • JodieR
    Options

Presumably HMRC's system checked the ID/password against the reference you used and found they did not match

Yeah, that half makes sense, but I'm sure I've filed a couple of P35s without being an authorised agent for the company so it doesn't look like they check to make sure your ID/password are affiliated with the company in question. It must have failed the 'this reference number doesn't exist' test instead, which should throw up a different error code, or the description of error 1046 should be amended to say 'incorrect ID/password or employer ref number'.

At the end of the day I'm just pleased that it did actually get picked up before it was submitted and that I managed to work it out pretty quickly. I was just panicing at the time as it was the last day to file and I was already running late for my next appointment and I was cursing the client in question as I'd prepared the whole P35 at the beginning of April and had been chasing them for the final piece of info ever since and I only got the answer at 12:30 on the 19th May!
Privacy Policy