Anyone else feel they learn nothing with AAT Study?

Darron24
Darron24 Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
I have been studying for nearly 18 months now around 6 hrs per week and in that time have completed level 2 and nearly level 3. I have found pretty much every unit fairly easy to understand and have flown through all of my exams to date.
So despite the above - why do i still not feel like i've learnt anything? What i mean by that is that I feel i'm a million miles away from becoming a member in practice. If someone gave me their accounts to do (in real life not in a simple textbook question) i wouldnt know where to start!

I have had job interviews where the fact i'm part qualified certainly helps me get my foot in the door but any specific questions about what i've learnt to date and putting it into practice seem to leave me uncomfortable as i feel i have next to nothing to offer and i'm 2/3 through the course!

Plus nearly everything in the AAT magazine either bores me or goes straight over my head.

Can anyone reassure me or am i being stupid?
Am i alone in this? ? I just don't know....

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Darron24 wrote: Β»
    What i mean by that is that I feel i'm a million miles away from becoming a member in practice. If someone gave me their accounts to do (in real life not in a simple textbook question) i wouldnt know where to start!

The course can only really teach you the technical knowledge, and it's experience that teaches you how to know where to start with a set of accounts in the real world - that's why student members have to have experience as well as having passed the exams to qualify as a full member. A lot of it is also confidence - you don't think you know where to start, but if you were given someone's records, an empty room, a cup of tea and a computer, you would probably figure it out after time and realise you could work out how to apply your studies, it's just that initial 'where do I start.'

Don't worry about it too much - if you're finding your studies relatively easy then that's good. Do you work in an accountancy role at the moment?
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Level 4 is a step up from level 3 or 2 and you will learn more there.

But if you expect to become a member in practice or expect to know anything from your textbook without any experience you might as well give up now.

AAT requires a year of work experience to become MAAT and that's with a reason. There is no way you can learn everything you need to know without experience.

Then if you want to continue to Member in practice, you will need to have a lot more experience and prove you are competent to do it.

There is a huge difference between textbook knowledge and actual practical experience, a lot of people find this out the hard way. Ending up being very high on their horse for having finished a qualification, to only find out they hardly know anything once they start working.

Reading the magazine is a great way of gaining those few more points of knowledge, so stick to it and even if you do not understand it all, it might help you gain something you only realise at a later point!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Can you ask someone at work to give you more demanding tasks, so you can apply your text book knowledge?
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Kate989589
    Kate989589 Registered Posts: 17 New contributor 🐸
    I have just completed level 2, I work in a hotel and opted to fund and educate myself for my own personal gain ofc. But in the hotel I barely do any account work, and despite asking my boss to let me, I've only seen the sales ledgers once. So I just gave up with them, applied for some new jobs and got the 2nd one I was interviewed for. They are aware of my level of study and I was completly honest in the interview saying that I wanted to apply my text book knowledge to an actual business and that I wanted more experience. I start Monday, I'm a bit nervous but at least Ill be getting the experience I crave. Plus it will help my course alot, applying it to a real scenario.
  • Darron24
    i do some minor accounting tasks - enough to have been able to get my 1 years experience signed off, but i am currently trying to get more involved at head office so fingers crossed there.
    the problem i have is that to start over at a new company will almost certainly mean a big salary drop and with a mortgage and 2 kids its not really possible.
    i think everyone has hit the nail on the head with the experience issue but i guess my response to that would be that if i was getting experience on the job i prob would feel that I wouldnt need AAT anyway?
    the owner of the company was impressed with me doing a course but if he was to then ask how what ive learnt so far would help the business i'd struggle unless i had the experience.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Without doing AAT level 2, would you have known all the things about double entry?

Without doing AAT level 3, would you have the knowledge to set up a profit and loss account or balance sheet?

AAT is the theory that you can then use to put to practical use.

Rather than going to work and not knowing what a double entry is or how it works, you at least know this already, so once you get a bit of a chance to show some more work, you will notice it helps.

If you hadn't done the course so far, would the owner of your company consider you for a role in accounts or finance?
  • Darron24
    no they wouldnt so yes that is a valid point. its just the other people who just ignore the course and criticize me for my lack of experience that gets to me.

for example the company accountant has gone over the owners head (sounds weird i know) and now it looks like i may not get this chance just cos this other person has helped for a little while in collating the month end accounts and the role had been promised to her on the quiet. wheres her AAT course? where was her initiative to write a letter to the owner?
    give me a few days/weeks and i'll be up to her knowledge plus have the background knowledge of AAT but that is ignored.

yes i did start this thread cos i am ****** off! i absolutely dont regret AAT but my ultimate point is that so far 18 months study has counted for nothing for me personally as opposed to an office monkey getting an opportunity due to being in the right place
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Darron24 wrote: Β»
    yes i did start this thread cos i am ****** off! i absolutely dont regret AAT but my ultimate point is that so far 18 months study has counted for nothing for me personally as opposed to an office monkey getting an opportunity due to being in the right place

Its always the way, the amount of times I've seen people get ahead through talking BS or just being at the right place at the right time.

And then the quiet ones that sit in the background working away get forgoten about....
  • jorja1986
    jorja1986 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    PGM wrote: Β»
    And then the quiet ones that sit in the background working away get forgoten about....

We're the ones that keep it all running smoothly. Without us it all goes to c. :)

Number of times I have been overlooked. As long as I keep being able to pay the bills I will keep tying. There will always be people and companies where "if the face doesn't fit..." frustrating but your time will come. Speak to the owner anyway - I am sure that vacancies now have to be advertised in the proper fashion. Doesn't mean she is a shoo in.
Privacy Policy