Ie9

BeccaLouJ9
BeccaLouJ9 Registered Posts: 896 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Just updated to Internet Explorer 9, because prompt came up and my pc wanted to update... anyway can I go back to normal internet explorer? I don't this change!! Any help appreciated..?!

B

Comments

• blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Try using System Restore to go back to an earlier state - providing Windows created a restore point when it upgraded IE and/or you've reserved enough disk space for frequent save points.
  • blobbyh
    Oh and make the switch to Google Chrome, a far superior browser.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Oh dear, big computer words.. I was hoping there was a shiny back button that went back an hour and fixed everything for me! :(

Ok, I will relay this info to the bf and see if he can do it! Thank you

B x
  • blobbyh
    Oh dear, big computer words.. I was hoping there was a shiny back button that went back an hour and fixed everything for me! :(

Okay, whichever version of Windows you're using it's pretty much the same.

Save/close all open files and programs

Click the Start menu in the bottom left hand corner

Go to All Programs

Go to Accessories

Go to System Tools

Choose System Restore

Choose a restore point

Let it do its admittedly clever business

Or just install Google Chrome and dump IE forever...
  • Woooof
    Woooof Registered Posts: 174 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Or just install Google Chrome and dump IE forever...

Or do the smart choice and move to Firefox.
  • BeccaLouJ9
    Ah ok, I can see this working. Thank you. Will wait and do it later though- then I can't be blamed for breaking it!

Ta boys x
  • blobbyh
    Woooof wrote: ยป

It's a subjective choice. Firefox never convinced me enough to defect over from the older versions of IE but Chrome did immediately it appeared and been using it ever since. Speedwise it consistently beats both Firefox and IE in expert reviews (the latter of which takes forever to load) but apparently lacks technical functionality. If you just want a simple, fast browser Chrome seems to be the most recommended.

I think almost everyone agrees though that Internet Explorer has definitely had its day...
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Woooof wrote: ยป
    agreed!
    I was a Firefox user long before Chrome came out and I like FF sufficiently that I've never felt the need to try Chrome. Either are better than IE.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I've used all 3 and in the end mostly use IE because I use multiple computers. Microsoft don't like being left being and have the resources to throw millions at a problem. I really don't think theres enough in it to make me care that much..
  • PGM
  • blobbyh
    Geek alert ahead.

Had a look at that site last week PGM (and a couple of others). General consensus seemed to be that Firefox is the most customisable though not particularly quick while Chrome offers the fastest speeds but lacks options. While I've tried Firefox (more than once) I just couldn't take to it and I wonder if any of the Firefox fans here have actually tried Chrome? Tried Opera once but didn't like that either.

My first choice is Chrome and anything that doesn't work too well there (often to do with downloading), I use IE as a back up.
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Use all three
    Most of the time use Chrome cos its just awesome, and can play angry birds on my desktop :D

Bank doesn't suport chrome so use firefox, same for some other sites like MS office website maintenance.

Work doesn't support either so stuck with ie.7 or 8.
  • Raging Pineapples
    Raging Pineapples Registered Posts: 110 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I know I'll get flack for this, but I don't see what the big issue with IE is...

...I know that it was rubbish in the past, and caused a lot of web developers a LOT of pain and anguish, and probably held the internet back a decade by being so slow to support the W3C standards, but in fairness it's actually pretty good now.

I do quite a bit of web design and programming and these days, the tables have turned. Now, IE8 is fairly consistent with the other browsers, whereas Firefox has such a blinkered interpretation of the W3C standards that some more ambitious designs won't display properly in it.
  • PGM
    I know I'll get flack for this, but I don't see what the big issue with IE is...

Thats the thing with MS, if they get left behind, you know it won't be for long!

Like with their MS Security Essentials, I recently read a review that put it ahead of AVG.
  • blobbyh

Nothing wrong with that, at least you can qualify it. I just get fed up with waiting for it to boot from scratch.

One of the other pro-reviews I read last week mentioned that they couldn't believe how fast and far Firefox was starting to fall behind the others. Didn't mention it earlier as conscious of coming across as a Google 'fanboy'!

Speaking of which, also read that Android devices are being switched on at 400,000 per day with an estimated 100m current users in just 18-24 months. There are approx. 189m iOS devices in around four years so can't be too long (couple of years?) before Android overtakes Apple to become the biggest mobile OS on the planet (someone else can do the maths).

I'll just stick with my Symbian 3 device for another 20 odd months. Bah.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I'll just stick with my Symbian 3 device for another 20 odd months. Bah.

You can laugh at me then, I must be the only person left with a windows smartphone!!
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Chrome cos its just awesome, and can play angry birds on my desktop :D

Bugger I have just weaned myself off Angry Birds on my phone, no chance of any revision now tonight. Much better on a bigger screen
  • Dcollins
    Dcollins Registered Posts: 179 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I don't care what I use as long as it works, and is efficient. I've always used IE because it came with the computer. I updated from IE8 to IE9, had problems with it so restored back to IE8 two days later, and it's fine, but....

Have tried Crome and something else in the past (Thunder.. something?), but didn't see any real advantage. Then after reading a few comments on this thread, decided to try Firefox. It is unbelievably fast compared to IE (on my machine anyway). All this time I've been putting up with slow page loading, thinking it was normal.

By the way, when I grumbled to my IT professional husband about IE9, his response was: 'why would you install something new from Microsoft?' Then, walking away shaking his head, 'have you not learned anything?'

Well, now I have. Thanks everyone.
Privacy Policy