Handy AAT download - what can students members do?

Paul C
Paul C Registered Posts: 193 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Spotted this in an AAT email -

http://www.aat.org.uk/servlet/file/Accountancy_Framework.pdf?ITEM_ENT_ID=18230&download=1

It talks about several points that members often query here e.g. what work can students / members do.

Also......who can call themselves an "accountant" in the UK...I am left wondering whether "currently" implies things may change.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Thanks Paul, that's a good factsheet.

As to "currently" - rules and laws are ever-changing, but I don't think there is anything imminent in the pipeline. In fact , I believe the government recently stated that it would be too much work for too little effect to protect the term 'accountant'.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor 🐘
    Very interesting and certainly will clarify a lot for AAT MIPs.

I don't agree that the AAT is correct in saying that law firms are mandated to have an audit. I think what the AAT are getting at here is the Solicitors' Accountants Report and Checklist which law firms are required to have completed by a Statutory Auditor working for a firm of Registered Auditors. This work is NOT an audit as the Reporting Accountant is not required to form an opinion on the accounts.

I thought this would need clarification to ensure that AAT MIPs could advise (potential) solicitor clients correctly.

Regards
    Steve
  • beverly hudson
    beverly hudson Registered Posts: 95 Regular contributor ⭐
    Paul C wrote: »
    Spotted this in an AAT email -

http://www.aat.org.uk/servlet/file/Accountancy_Framework.pdf?ITEM_ENT_ID=18230&download=1
    Also......who can call themselves an "accountant" in the UK...I am left wondering whether "currently" implies things may change.

I don't think protecting the term would benefit anyone. I have an accounting degree but I'm not a member of any of the chartered bodies but I still call myself an accountant because that's what I consider myself to be.
Privacy Policy