VAt reg cancelled but they still want a VAT7?! Deregistered over phone?!

Monsoon
Monsoon Font Of All KnowledgeFMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,071
Very odd one.

HMRC have cancelled a VAT registration on 16/02/2010 but have told me they are still awaiting form VAT7 - Application to Cancel Registration. But I have a certificate of dereg in front of me. Apparently they deregistered over the phone - really???? can they do that???

Confused - does any of this make sense?

The final brown VAT return has not been submitted so I will deal with that, but she definitely said they want a VAT7!!

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Experienced Mentor Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448
    Well if you can cancel "over the phone", they would still want the form because they would need alot more information that a simple phone call could give.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Font Of All Knowledge FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,071
    T.C. wrote: »
    Well if you can cancel "over the phone", they would still want the form because they would need alot more information that a simple phone call could give.

Yes that makes sense - but I just can't believe they accepted a cancellation over the phone, and indeed actioned it, and left things unfinalised for over a year before getting in touch.....!
  • AK002
    AK002 Font Of All Knowledge Registered Posts: 2,492
    Monsoon wrote: »
    Yes that makes sense - but I just can't believe they accepted a cancellation over the phone, and indeed actioned it, and left things unfinalised for over a year before getting in touch.....!

Stranger things have happened with HMRC Lol!
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Font Of All Knowledge FMAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 4,071
    AK002 wrote: »
    Stranger things have happened with HMRC Lol!

That is indeed true. I bet you a tenner that if I try and cancel my VAT registration over the phone that they will tell me to fill out a form!

Edit: I just remembered, the woman on the phone kept insisting the VAT7 was the final VAT return. So I think she was just asking for the wrong form.... She did say they cancelled over the phone though.