Van - capital allowances - HELP!

Options
kellyp
kellyp Registered Posts: 44 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi,

I have got a new client who bought a van during the tax year 2010/2011 for £3800.
He says he uses it mostly for business though I worked out his business miles to be 38%. He didnt keep a record of his personal miles so I have worked out the business miles based on customers he invoiced and quotes etc.

Firstly, is he eligible to claim capital allowances as there I no proof that the van is mainly used for business purposes?

Secondly, if he can claim capital allowances, do vans with part private use still fall into the AIA catergory?
Would the calculation be: £3800 x 38% (business use) = £1444.

Thanks in advance.
Kelly

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Vans are generally considered as all business use. Is there really a reason for private use, ie his only vehicle?
  • kellyp
    Options
    he just owns the one vehicle which is the van.
  • T.C.
    Options
    If there is no other vehicle available for his use, then perhaps it is wise to put in a little personal use. What is his business?
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Van exp

Hi Kelly

I assume you had the starting and ending mileage to be able to work out the percentage? Have you spoken to your client and told him about the 38% figure? If he says that he uses it mostly for business then maybe he makes lots of trips to suppliers or quoting for jobs that haven't turned into customers and you wouldn't be able to know this unless he recorded them. If he only has one vehicle I would be looking to include some personal use. I would speak to your client, he might consider 38% is fair or think it closer to say 80%. Try to work out with him what is missing from your "mileage record" and go from there.

Hope this helps.
  • kellyp
    Options
    Hi, thanks for the responses.
    Yes I had a start and end mileage figure from my client. He is a plumber.
    so would the calculation for the capital allowances just be 3800 * 80% ?

thanks
  • T.C.
    Options
    Yes, talk to your client. I would agree that a figure closer to 80-90% is more appropriate. I would be more inclined to lean towards the 90%. The capital allowances figure to use would be.
    £3,800 x 20% (CA) = £760 x 90% business use = £685
    Balance to carry forward £3,800 - £760 = £3,040
    Have you suggested Annual Investment Allowance instead with its pros and cons?

Hope that makes sense to you.
  • kellyp
    Options
    I thought the whole amount less the personal portion (i.e. 10 or 20% as suggested) would be allowable using the AIA?!
    It does make sense to me although im not really sure of the pros and cons of the AIA. I don't think this was mentioned during my AAT studies...eek! would you mind briefly explaining? thanks for your help.
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Capital Allowances

Hi KellyP

A van is plant & machinery and therefore AIA is claimable. You would apportion according to the business/private percentage. If the profit is quite low you don't have to claim the total amount but restrict it to whatever amount is beneficial.

The AIA is 100% tax relief on plant & machinery (assuming 100% business use) upto the limit £100K I think. One drawback with using the AIA is if your client knows he going to sell the van next year, he has already received tax relief on the whole amount and therefore he'll have to pay tax on the value received.

Whereas other assets purchased for the business might only attract a writing down allowance (WDA) of 20% (18% from April 2012) or 10% for integral features and certain other pools. Again the amount claimed is apportioned according to private/business use and can also be restricted if beneficial.

Hope this helps.
  • T.C.
    Options
    Yes, I agree with Anne Boleyn. Your client needs to consider the implications of using his AIA. I tend to advise CAs for this type of plant. You need to advise because deciding upon an option.
  • kellyp
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your help!! seems much clearer now :)
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    If AIA is available I take it. I'm not one for giving HMRC any more than they need.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Wouldn't it work out better to claim the 45p per mile rather than the capital allowances?
Privacy Policy