Training Providers

Options
Amie1977
Amie1977 Registered Posts: 33 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi All,

I am wanting to start Level 3 but am unsure who to study with......do you even need to study with anyone as you can buy the books youself? Was with HLC and don't want to get ripped off again but I never used the Tutor support for Level 2 and was wondering if I could just go it alone and buy the books and pay for the exams myself?

If I do need a training provider who do you recommend from personal experiences??

Thanks!!

Comments

• pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Amie1977

Hi I did my study with Premier, but for Level 3 I didnt use any tutor support I did all the study myself through the books. It was there if I needed it I just found that I didnt.
    I booked the exams locally to myself but I was registered with them so am not sure if thats a requirement. I was wondering the same thing that I paid for the support but didnt need it, however for Level 4 I found it very useful to have support there and particularly for the project.
    HTH
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    My story is pretty much the same as Girl Pirate ! I registered with Premier Training, but only had a minimum tutor support (handful of phonecalls?).

I'd say you probably could do the qualification independently, but at the same time its reassuring to know that you can pick up the phone and ask for help... it really was just a confidence/comfort thing for me knowing that I could call my tutor for support. Also I have recently started a 3 month placement in an accounts practice - I don't think that I would have secured this without my tutors reference. I know I've had some negative things to say about distance learning (just the nature of the beast I think) but there are also some positives.

Premier Training allow you to pay in installments - as far as I am aware they are the only distance learning provider that allow for this. Kaplan and BPP are the two largest distance learning providers, but recently a smaller company called Eagle Education have been getting great feedback. ( The founder Sonia Ashburry won an AAT achievement award last year and was featured in the AAT mag) so I'd certainly be inclined to take a look at what they have to offer (I'm considering a switch for if/when I get around to ACA/ACCA but I'd already paid Premier Training for all three years at the start of my course)
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    uknitty wrote: Β»
    Premier Training allow you to pay in installments - as far as I am aware they are the only distance learning provider that allow for this. Kaplan and BPP are the two largest distance learning providers, but recently a smaller company called Eagle Education have been getting great feedback. ( The founder Sonia Ashburry won an AAT achievement award last year and was featured in the AAT mag) so I'd certainly be inclined to take a look at what they have to offer (I'm considering a switch for if/when I get around to ACA/ACCA but I'd already paid Premier Training for all three years at the start of my course)

Eagle also let you pay in installments
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Coojee, are you paying in instalments with Eagle. I didn't think they did this.

I studied Level 3 with them and the level of support and learning materials was outstanding, but as I am unable to afford the fees for Level 4 upfront I was going to return to BPP and buy each unit as and when I needed it.

Would much prefer to be with Eagle for level 4 as I have heard it is such a huge step up from the previous levels

Amie I think level 3 is doable on your own if you are motivated enough. Check out where the nearest centre is to you that would allow you to sit your CBE there and the costs of sitting as an external. I needed to pay additional fees on top of Eagle to sit CBE in London but the level of service from Eagle it was worth it
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options

I studied Level 3 with them and the level of support and learning materials was outstanding, but as I am unable to afford the fees for Level 4 upfront I was going to return to BPP and buy each unit as and when I needed it.

Would much prefer to be with Eagle for level 4 as I have heard it is such a huge step up from the previous levels

Amie I think level 3 is doable on your own if you are motivated enough. Check out where the nearest centre is to you that would allow you to sit your CBE there and the costs of sitting as an external. I needed to pay additional fees on top of Eagle to sit CBE in London but the level of service from Eagle it was worth it

Yes, you can definately pay in installments. I think you have to pay a larger chunk upfront and then smaller chunks over 6 months. Not sure of the details but definately installments and interest free.
  • torresgbr
    torresgbr Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Amie1977
    I used HLC for Level 2. Ive moved to Premier for Level 3. Cost just under Β£600. You have to pay and book your own exams. But means you can choose where you want to go. Not told by exams office. All assignments take 24 hours to be marked. Not the 2+ weeks like HLC. They have delivered this everytime so far. Feedback is very detailed.
    My Tutor is very helpful always replys within 24 hours. Only thing they have no Student Forum like HLC. You have to use this forum.
    Books are all Osbourne Books. Plus they give you a study plan so you have something to work with.
    Karen
  • Amie1977
    Options
    Hi Karen, Thanks for that - I can't afford to do Level 3 at the mo with a training provider so I have just bought the first set of Osborne books from Amazon so at least I can still work through them and study until I get the funds to go with a training provider. I was looking at Kaplan because you can buy and sit each unit individually so although it may cost a bit more in the long run it means I don't have to save up all the money at once!
  • MWAUGH1983
    MWAUGH1983 Registered Posts: 420 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options

I was told by sonya yesterday via email that they still do the flexible payments where you can pay 50% upfront with the rest over 5 months. That would work out roughtly Β£350 then around Β£60 ish per month.
  • Amie1977
    Options
    Just to let you all know I have received a response from Membership Support at the AAT which states that you do need to be a student of an approved Training Provider to enable you to book and take the exams.

So you CANNOT just buy the books from Ebay/Amazon and "teach yourself" - Bummer!!
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Amie1977 wrote: Β»
    Just to let you all know I have received a response from Membership Support at the AAT which states that you do need to be a student of an approved Training Provider to enable you to book and take the exams.

So you CANNOT just buy the books from Ebay/Amazon and "teach yourself" - Bummer!!

Yes you can. you just have to put down a provider. There is nothing to say you have to be a student of them. For example, i put down BPP as that is the closest centre to me that runs the CBEs. i bought the books and just book my exam with BPP. I do not get any support/tutoring from them what so ever, i am not classed as a student of theirs at all.

Im not sure why they told you that, but who ever you spoke to is very much mistaken. ALOT of people on this forum have/are completing the qualification this way without any problems.
  • katsutlieff
    Options
    Thank you for the link Sandy. Sonya emailed me following my posting. I am presently debating whether to study Level 4 as a day release at Worthing or Chichester. I'm jsut wondering whether having the classroom support would be better for Level 4 as every one says it is such a big step up from Level 3 and there is also the dreaded project to consider
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Options
    I work at Chichester College.
    I think class room based classes generally suit most students.
    Our course manager is Lesley Beynon
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • katsutlieff
    Options
    I thought it was Chichester you worked at. I spoke with Chichester yesterday it will be Lesley Beynon running the course
  • Amie1977
    Options
    Dear Anne-Marie

Thank you for your e-mail.

I can confirm that you will need to be with one of our approved training providers to complete the AAT qualification.

Please find the centre in your area and contact them for more information, click on the link below to give you a more in depth search

https://www.aat.org.uk/services/findatrainingprovider/

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind regards

Sameer Ghanty
    Membership Support Advisor
    AAT

e: sameer.ghanty@aat.org.uk
    t: 0845 863 0801
    int: +44 (0)20 7397 3001
    f: +44 (0)207 397 3009
    w: aat.org.uk

P Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this email?

Sent: 15 June 2011 14:01
    To: Membership Support
    Subject: Fw: Level 3

Dear Sirs,

I am an AAT student member (number ????????) and I have passed Level 2 Accounting Technicians Certfiicate and I am looking to study Level 3 Accounting Technicians Diploma.

My questions are:

Do I have to be enrolled with a Training Provider or can I buy the books from Amazon to self study and then book the exams myself.

If I can study that way then can I please have a list of possible venues to be able sit the CBA's within the East Anglia region.

Many Thanks in anticipation of your response.

Yours faithfully

Anne-Marie
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    Anne-Marie

I would agree that this is what they would tell you but I know of a few people not associated with a college and still doing the exams. BPP do allow a modular approach as well. My sister has just booked her Personal Tax exam under the new standards at a collage local to her and didnt have to say anything about a college.
  • Amie1977
    Options
    Pirate,

I am really confused now and don't know what to do........think I will probably go with a training provider...just which one??

I am torn between Kaplan and Eagle...what do you suggest (I know in the end it is personal choice)?
  • Sammmy88
    Sammmy88 Registered Posts: 283 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I went with Kaplan for Level 2, and I found them awful!! So I have gone with Eagle and I think so far they are really good! You get a study buddy which really helps!! Plus a lot of exam questions and practices! There response rate is excellent too!! I highly recommend!!
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Awaiting to start CIMA :)
  • Amie1977
    Options
    Cheers Sammy! They use the Osborne books which I currently have AP I and II already but I am struggling on the Accruals and Prepayments - not on the ETB but on the T Accounts!! Does the Studdy Buddy help with this as the Osborne books themselves don't seem to be going in!!
  • Amie1977
    Options
    Well, that's it - I have just signed up with Eagle Education!!! Scary!!
  • Sammmy88
    Options
    Yes they do help with the study buddy as that acts as your starting point and they then refer to the book!
    ooooh exciting!! :-) they also have presentations when you sign up, which also helps explain things too, on thier moodle page, which you will get access too now!! :-)
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

• Amie1977
    Options
    Is it these rpesentations you are looking at at lunch?? Did you get to look at the books at the weekend and where are you upto now??
  • Amie1977
    Options
    Sammy - Ignore me - just seen your email!!
  • Sammmy88
    Options
    lol :-)
    Level 2 - Passed 2011
    Level 3 - Passed 2012
    Level 4 - Passed 2014

Privacy Policy