New Member In Practice

Options
mike1983
mike1983 Registered Posts: 48 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi everybody,

I would just like to introduce myself as a new member in practice. If you have a minute, would you please have a quick look at my new website http://www.mjhaccountancy.co.uk and let me know what you think as I would value and appreciate your opinions.

If you spot any mistakes then please advise accordingly.

Kind Regards

Mike

MJH Accountancy Services Ltd

Comments

• Primble
    Primble Registered Posts: 734 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi there, I'm not a MIP but am interested in it depending on what work can offer me. It's a smart site but it takes a while to load. It is professional looking though
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Congratulations on the MIP status.

Website looks very clean and tidy. I like it.

I have a superfast broadband connection and the images do not load instantly which is unusual. It's fine for me but slower connections may have an issue. I assume it is written in flash, could be a coding issue.

The images are a bit generic. You could have a picture of yourself on the 'About' page to make it a bit more personal. I note that the images link to other pages but there is no indication of where the link is going until you get there.

Oh, and your fees are WAY too low. Even for St Helens!

Otherwise, very good effort - well done!!
  • mike1983
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to look!

I used Moonfruit and just picked a template. There is no coding in there as I wouldn't know where to start!!

I think I am going to change the pictures eventually as they are a little cheesy. I'll have to find out the reason for it being slow.

Many Thanks

Mike
    MJH Accountancy Service Ltd
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    My thoughts...

Like the website.

Loads very fast (1sec per page if that) in Chrome for me but then chrome is alot quicker anyway.

Internet explorer was a little slow at about 3-4 secs per page.

with 64 bit IE it changed the layout and wording completely so the header links were on the right and the writing didn't make any sense.

I haven't got firefox or safari installed but you need to check these out really as a lot of people don't just use IE.

I can send you some screenshots of how it looks in 64bit IE if you want?
    Regards,

Burg
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Hi Mike

Well done on creating such a good website; nice, easy on the eye and tidy.

Is it rude if I ask the following?

How much practice experience did you acquire before you became MIP (I've got 1.5 years but I can't wait to be MIP)?

What programs do you use? When I'm MIP I'm thinking of using VT, BTC and sage payroll.

And finally, is it really scary leaving full time employment and "going it alone"?

Thanks for your post; it's very inspiring :D
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Website is great, although it is really slow on my pc. I get a rather foreboding red screen while it loads which is a bit off putting/scary, but the website itself looks very professional.
  • mike1983
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to look. It's much appreciated!

As for practical experience, I have 4 year working in a small-medium practice.
    You only need to demonstrate one years practical experience to get you MAAT status.

For a MIP licence you need to demonstrate that you have experience in each of the areas you wish to be licenced for and plan 12 months CPD.

The software I am currently using is VT for accounts, TaxCalc for tax, and Moneysoft for payroll. All very inexpensive and simple to use. I was used to Iris Accounts Production which is fantastic but so expensive.

As for 'going it alone', I think it all depends on what you current employment is. If you are on a great salary and there is chance of progression then you need to weigh it all up.
    If you are working in an accountancy practice then they may class setting up your own practice whilst in their employment as gross misconduct!

I was working in a practice and have left to set myself up, but I need to work part-time until my practice grows. I am just trying to figure out how to market my practice at the moment!!

Good luck in whatever you do in the future.

Kind Regards

Mike
  • mike1983
    Options
    jow774 wrote: »
    Website is great, although it is really slow on my pc. I get a rather foreboding red screen while it loads which is a bit off putting/scary, but the website itself looks very professional.

Thanks for taking the time to look!

I agree with the red screen thing! I don't know where it has come from.

As for it being slow, would you mind telling me which browser you are using as I am getting mixed performance from different browsers.

Kind Regards

Mike
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I agree with what Dean said about pricing - you've got similar prices to our all-on-one product but ours are 'starting from' prices, not typical ones, meant only for really, really simple jobs. The majority of our ABC clients pay more than that. An ABC/All-in-one type service on those prices appeals to the very price-conscious making it a sausage-factory volume game if you want it to be profitable. As it stands, I'm not pushing ABC too much these days as I prefer traditional stand-alone pricing and then offering it monthly, and dislike a sausage-factory approach (and can't get my pitch right for ABC on decent fees), so it's worth bearing it in mind, don't fall into the trap of being very cheap to get clients through the door (read my blog!). Best of luck! :)

Oh and the speed is ok on my computer. Initial load was a bit slow but after that all pages are fine.
  • mike1983
    Options
    Hi Monsoon,

Thanks for taking the time to read my website.

My fees are similar to the practice I used to work for so I have always thought that was an acceptable level.

I have taken your advice on board and I don't want undersell myself or attract the wrong type of client so I am going to consider a few changes.

Many Thanks

Mike
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    i am using safari and it loads really quick, well done :)

tracy
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Very nice website! I am impressed. Did you design it yourself?
  • mike1983
    Options

I used Moonfruit to pick a template.

An old colleague of mine, who has already designed her own website, put everything in place.

It's just a temporary website as I am thinking of using a professional as soon as things pick up.

Kind Regards

Mike
  • groundy
    groundy Registered Posts: 495 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Very nice website, no problem with speed load up and I use IE.

Agree with earlier comments fees are extremely cheap. We dont do an all in one service as I usually recommend local bookkeepers for the weekly upkeep of records. I am based in Lancashire so not far from you and charge a minimum of £300 for a sole trader just for accounts and tax and a minimum of £700 for Limited accounts and tax.

I would not dream of including all the bookkeeping and VAT in that price and I consider ourselves to be very reasonable on price for our area.

Good Luck
  • lisamarie86
    lisamarie86 Registered Posts: 10 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    great site!

Hi Mike,

Love your site, all the info is easy to find, and looks professional.

I have just started up myself, and I wondered whether I could ask how you are going about advertising yourself? I am getting married next Thursday, so I have little spare cash, and want to use it as wisely as possible.

Thanks,
    lisa
Privacy Policy