Online bookkeeing software

Options
GinnyBee
GinnyBee Registered, Tutor Posts: 131 Dedicated contributor 🦉
I've just read the thread about Kashflow with interest. I was wondering if anyone has much experience of using any of the other online bookkeeping systems? The ones I know of are (please add any I've missed or not heard of yet!):

Kashflow
Xero
Freeagent
Clear Books
Liquid Accounts

What do you like about them?

What do you dislike?

Are they worth the money?

Any other comments?

Interesting to see people's experiences. And will help each of us to recommend one if a clients seeks it out and it's appropriate for them.

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Kashflow: you know my thoughts on that one!
    Xero: good, very good, but pricy.
    Freeagent: Also good, but I dislike the single entry journal function - you post one, and it automatically posts the other side to suspense, so then you have to post the other side separately to clear the suspense account. I asked them and they said this was "to prevent errors as it would be easier for non-accountants." I disagree! Other than that, it's very good indeed.
    ClearBooks: Ok, cheap, does the job, bank rec a bit weak
    Liquid: not tried it

Accounts Portal Love it. Nice interface, I think it's great value for money. I haven't used it much but what little I have seen I really like.

Online software is great, means you can make adjustments in real time, you can check they are doing their books right, they can see what you are doing and have reports whenever they want them. A lot of them offer a free accountant partner programme that allows clients to get discounts on the fees. Some of them make you, the accountant, repsonsible for paying the fees, which you then have the option of recouping from the client (or absorbing it into your regular fees). Accounts Portal gives you the option of letting the client pay direct, which I like.
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    I have looked at Xero and it looks good. But would you pick it over VT accounts?
  • paulstafford
    paulstafford Registered Posts: 126 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    For very small businesses Accounts Portal gets my vote as well.

Although I've only played around with it a little I have decided to offer it as an option to potential new clients. The £5 per month fee is a realistic price.
Privacy Policy